𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐨

IT HAD BEEN TWO WEEKS SINCE MARISSA HAD JOINED COBRA KAI AND SINCE THEN SHE HAD PICKED UP A LOT MORE THAN INTENDED. The basic lessons had flown by fast and now they were starting actual training. Johnny, the sensei who had doubted her, had been using her flexibility to his advantage. He had her demonstrate stretches that would help get her teammates kicks higher and help them to become more versatile.

It would seem as though the only people who could perform them properly were Marissa, Tory, and Hawk, even if he didn't want to admit it. Tory, as Marissa had found out, had a dance background. She took a couple classes when she was younger and it was nice that Marissa had someone to talk to about dance while in karate.

Miguel, Marissa, and Hawk were currently spread out in a small circle, doing the stretches Marissa had taught a few days before. Feeling the need to spark conversation, Hawk began in Miguel's direction, "I did a deep dive online and you were right. Sensei is definitely Keene's father."

"What, Robby Keene?" Marissa asked, the name sounding familiar.

"Yeah, you know him?" Miguel questioned with conviction.

"I know of him. From how he acted at he All Valley, he doesn't seem that bad." Marissa expressed, trying her best to feign ignorance. "What's your beef with him, anyway? Is this seriously still about him showing up to the kegger with Sam?"

Miguel scoffed harshly as he turned and stretched his other foot, his face now angling toward the girl, "You don't take another dude's girlfriend to a party that her boyfriend is at. You're just looking for a fight at that point." He turned to the middle pulling his legs together, "I just don't understand why he wouldn't tell us."

"I don't know," Hawk answered honestly. "But it explains why he's giving us shit for kicking Keene's ass at the tournament. Show no mercy unless it's his son."

Marissa was about to make a snide remark about Hawk's unsportsmanlike behavior but Aisha came rushing over and she lost her thought. "Have you guys seen the commercial?" At the trio's confused looks, she elaborated, "Sam's dad started his own dojo and he disses Cobra Kai."

Marissa took the phone the four-eyed girl had held out to her and pressed play. The screen embodied Daniel LaRusso donned in a white gi spewing something about free karate lessons. As it ended, one line in particular stuck out not only to her but to Miguel and Hawk as well; Don't be a snake in the grass. Marissa may have just started training but he was talking about her dojo as if it was a bad place instead of being somewhere kids come to reinvent themselves.

For the rest of the supposed lesson, which was just Johnny proving he's stuck in the wrong decade, Marissa had spaced out as she began think about how Daniel LaRusso could make such a backhanded claim about another dojo. It was disrespectful and all Marissa knew was that he should be prepared to fight his puny fire with an inferno.