𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐞𝐧

IT WAS SAFE TO SAY THAT PRESSURE BRED FRUSTRATION

"Pull up!" Madame LeBlanc words were paired with thunderous claps that echoed through the studio. "Up, up! Come on, five more!" She tucked her striking blonde hair behind her ear in irritation.

The speaker that played a recording of fierce violins ceased its playing. All the dancer's attention became fixed on LeBlanc. Marissa finished through her turns and swiped her sweat soaked hair from her forehead. She rested her hands at her hips, gripping through the fabric of her leotard for dear life.

Madame LeBlanc was never the kind of teacher who got angry at her students. She was just so passionate about the art. She wanted her students to dance with vigor and excitement, so when they didn't, she became very inimical.

"The performance is in two months. It's the biggest production this company has ever seen and, with who I believe to be the best dancers this company has ever seen." She crossed her arms and looked at the room full of teenagers tersely. "I don't understand why you guys are fumbling through steps that the class beneath can execute perfectly. Step it up because if things continue like this, there will be no show."

Her eyes tracked the students in the room, checking for attentiveness and understanding. "Gather for dismissal." The students spread themselves evenly into three lines of five and performed a short variation for LeBlanc. When class was finally over, everyone thanked LeBlanc with applause and rushed from the room in a hurry to leave.

Everyone aside from Marissa.

"Don't you have to be at work soon?" Madame LeBlanc looked down at her watch then back up at the girl.

"I got someone to cover my shift. I think I'm going to stay and practice some more," Marissa answered with a shrug of her shoulders. "I'm not gaining enough momentum in my turns."

Madame LeBlanc sighed and moved her purse from her hand to her shoulder. "Momentum isn't your problem, Marissa."

That grabbed the young girl's attention. "It's not?" LeBlanc shook her head. "Then it's something else because you and I both know that you were talking about me at the end of class today."

"I can't ever get anything past you, can I?" She placed her hand on Marissa's shoulder. "The problem is something that can only be fixed when you admit what you're afraid of."

"I'm not afraid of anything. I've danced in front of people before. I'm not scared of that."

Madame LeBlanc turned and started for the door. "Lock up when you leave. There's a spare key on my desk," she called over her shoulder before disappearing beyond the door.