𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

AFTER A WHILE, MARISSA LEFT HER MOTHER TO GO TO WORK

AFTER A WHILE, MARISSA LEFT HER MOTHER TO GO TO WORK. Albeit, she was late but she decided it was better to show up late than not at all. When she walked in she, of course, got reprimanded by her shift manager but wasn't severely punished because it was her first time being late.

She had about forty-five minutes left of her shift when the doorbell rang, alerting her that a costumer had walked in. She looked up and saw a recognizable face only by his blue ball cap. This was the guy that was outside her house, the damce studio, and Miguel's apartment. Now he had found his way into her workplace and Marissa knew this was no coincidence.

Then, she thought maybe it could be. Maybe there were a lot of people who wore
blue ball caps so, to ease her racing mind, she looked outside to spot a blacked out car. Her heart began to beat faster when she saw it parked in the lot. He, whoever he was, was in her store casually browsing the first-aid section.

Marissa decided to put up her 'LANE CLOSED' sign and ask her co-worker to cover the rest of her shift but the mystery man saddled up to her before she could. He placed gauze, peroxide, mint gum, and a case of beer on the counter. When she saw his face, she was taken back to when she was nine years old and her dad bought one of his 'friends' over which was really just code for fellow gambler.

"That's all," he spoke as a gesture for Marissa to start ringing him up. He knew exactly who she was and was waiting for her to say something. "You've definitely gotten taller... among other things." His eyes trailed down her body creepily.

"What the hell are you doing here?" Marissa questioned venomously. She hurried and scanned his items, not bothering to ask for his I.D. for the beer.

"Buying essentials," he replied gesturing to his bag after handing her the amount he owed.

"No, smartass, I meant in California. You're supposed to be in Chicago," Marissa said before adding, "In jail."

"Good behavior," he responded with a smirk. "I heard it was real pretty this time of year in California, so I thought 'why not'?" He leaned menacingly over the counter, "Good sense of community. I got a family reunion coming up out here."

Marissa's face blanched and then, suddenly, it all made sense. The friend her Mom was talking about was Mick, the man standing in front of her. She swallowed and lifted her chin as in mock confidence, "Is he here?"

"He who? I know a lot of guys," he responded smartly.

"Is he here?" Marissa asked again, not in the mood for his games.

"He's on his way," Mick finally answered.

Marissa stared ahead into nothing after his answer. Her father had found them and there was nothing she could do to stop his arrival. Mick snapped his fingers in front of her face to get her attention and, out of instinct, Marissa caught it and twisted at the wrist to which Mick let out a protest of pain.