Chapter 3: Moving

This wasn't new to Ricky. He didn't even have to pack anything up. It was all in a trash bag all ready to go to his new place. So he grabs his school bag and the trash bag before heading down the stairs of the group home. Ms. Benson stands there waiting for him. He mentally prepares for her lecture about not being an asshole to the family as he makes it down the stairs.

"You ready?" Nicki asks.

"Yep," Ricky says putting up the hood of his ratty old sweatshirt. An old foster brother of his gave it to him. It's a little oversize but it's one of the few things he hasn't lost as he shuffles through homes. He'll also grow into it. That foster brother was aging out of foster care when he gave him the hoodie. He is one of the few people Ricky trusts. He hasn't seen him in almost two years though.

"Okay come on let's get going then they're waiting." She says grabbing the trash bag from him. They make it out to her car. "You know this is your last chance at having a home right?"

"You've been saying that for years." Ricky dismisses looking out the window. "Besides I haven't had any luck with my family before why would I now?"

"Look you think this tough guy, lone wolf act is going to get anywhere? This is your blood and he wants to take p00 in despite your history. So if you can't pull your act together your gonna end up somewhere you don't want to be."

"Fine, whatever." Ricky rolls his eyes. It doesn't take long to make it to their place. They go up to their apartment and knock on the door. Maverick doesn't think this will go well. In his experience with those he shares DNA with they're bad people. He'd rather be as far from them as possible.

"Hey guys come in!" Kelly grins opening the door. "Maverick, this is my wife Stella."

"Where's my room?" Ricky asks walking in and looking around the loft. Okay, he'll admit this is a nice place but that doesn't mean the people are.

"Ricky be polite." Ms. Benson scolds.

"Hi, it's so nice to meet you," Ricky says sarcastically.

"Your room is down that hallway," Stella says smiling at him. He nods and goes down that hall without another word.

"Sorry, he'll come around," Nicki says with a sigh.

"He's fine, he just met us we'll let him settle in," Kelly says with a smile.

"Okay well if you have any questions call me."

Later that night

Ricky has been here for three hours and he hasn't left the room. He's been sitting on the bed listening to music the whole time. Kidd and Severide let him be mostly because they didn't know what to do or say. Kelly doesn't want to say anything stupid or do anything stupid. Now that they just finished cooking dinner they decided it was time to go grab him.

"Hey, Maverick? Dinner's ready you hungry?" Kelly says knocking lightly on the door.

"Coming!" Ricky says, knowing he can't avoid them forever. He was getting hungry anyway. He opens the door walking past Severide without saying a word. He sits down at the island where they had the plates set out.

"So do you play any sports?" Stella asks unsure of how to start a conversation.

"Hockey." He says before taking a bite of the food.

"What position?" Severide asks.

"Right-wing." He mumbles.

"Okay, nice." Kelly says smiling at him. "We'll have to come to see you play soon then."

"Okay," Ricky says.

"So maverick-"

"It's Ricky." He cuts her off not looking up from his plate.

"Okay, Ricky since tomorrow is Saturday and we are on Shift tomorrow we thought you could come to the firehouse with us."

"I know that I don't have a choice. Ms. Benson already told me." Ricky comments before taking a sip of his water.

"Oh. Well, I can show you the ins and outs of a firehouse. Maybe we can run some drills too." Kelly suggests.

"Okay." He says uninterested. The rest of the meal was spent in silence. He then retreats to his room for another hour before Stella comes knocking.

"Hey just want to check on you." She says.

"I'm fine... Uh, can I have a towel for a shower?" He asks.

"Of course, they're in the bathroom closet I'll pull one out for you." She tells him with a smile.

"Thanks." He says before she walks off to the bathroom.

After his shower, he tries to retreat to his room but Kelly stops him asking him to watch the game with them. He begrudgingly agrees and is now sat at the far end of the couch as far as possible from them. He doesn't do this domestic family thing. He tries to be as away from them as possible. He doesn't want to get close, he only wants a place to live until he gets bored or he ages out.