Chapter 6: Why Pretend?

Maverick looks up at the stands. He curses himself for it, it doesn't matter if they're there or not. He doesn't even like them, why would he want them there? Then he sees them sitting there next to the Turner family. They were talking to Delilah, Coach's wife about one thing or another. He looks back at the ice, where his team played. They were here and it's weird he's kinda happy they showed up. Foster parents have shown up in the past but this time it just feels different.

"Hey, Mav. Is your head in the game?" Coach asks looking at him.

"Always is Coach." He stands up as coach calls, the other player, Liam over.

"Okay, you're in. Liam, Ricky is in." Coach says tapping the boys' helmets as they walk by. "Head in the game Mav."

"Yes sir," Ricky says as he takes a step on the ice. With one last glance to the stands, he skates over to his team.

–––With Kelly and Stella–––

"Mav's playing." Robby, Jt's older brother says catching the attention of the adults.

"He's number 3 right?" Severide asks sitting forward.

"Yeah," Delilah answers keeping her eye on the ice where her nephew and Ricky were playing. Stella leans forward to watch number 3 skate around the ice with the puck. He's fast on ice not that Stella doubted that of course but she's impressed. She's glad her and Kelly's coming doesn't seem to distract him. He was pushing for them not to come. She was concerned that they may distract him.

Next to her Kelly was busy thinking. Thinking about how many games he's missed, how many birthdays he never got to be there for. How his dad knew about Ricky and never told him. How Ricky had to grow up thinking his family didn't want him. He just wishes that after Katie he pushed harder to find out if he had secret siblings. Both of their lives could've been drastically different  How- his thoughts are broken as Ricky scores. He's the first one to cheer and clap. Ricky doesn't look up though to busy high-fiving number 8, aka JT.

But he hears the cheers. He pays no mind because he wants to keep his mind in the game. He can't go into a spiral about everything that he has learned in the last two months. He looks over at his coach who is standing there smiling.

The game continues, Kelly keeping his eye on the ice watching his brother skate around. A part of him is cursing his dad for never mentioning Ricky. He knew about him, he knew another severide kid was walking around and he didn't mention it. God knows how many are out there with Benny's track record. He's pretty positive he's the oldest though his mom was his dad's first wife, and they got married young. K

The game ends with Ricky's team beating the other team by one. Ricky took his time showering and packing his stuff up. JT was the only person in the locker room by the time he was ready.

"Mav I don't know what you're going through but do you really wanna bounce around the city for the next four years? After that, you'll be sent on your own probably be homeless."

"I don't need some random adults acting like they care just to toss me out when they get bored. Besides and even then I'll probably get tossed out on my own anyway! Just like Jake."  Ricky rolls his eyes as he picks up his bookbag.

"Maybe they give up 'cause you're always running away from them."

"James you were right you don't know what I'm going through so don't act like you know anything about foster care. You were in like 3 foster houses before Coach took you in."