Chapter 7: Herrmann

Ricky walks up to his locker which happens to be next to JT's. They haven't talked since their argument in the locker room last week. Kat told Ricky that James was still upset about it. He glances over at his best friend who is digging through his locker for something.

"Jam-"

"Save it Maverick. I don't want to hear your fake apology." James doesn't even glance his way.

"I really am sorry I know I shouldn't have said that," Maverick says genuinely.

"Just leave me alone." He slams his locker shut and walks off. Ricky sighs he fucked up this time. His best friend won't talk to him.

"Maverick!" Kat says loudly storming over.

"Kat."

"Don't. Why would you say that to JT?" She asks him if looks could kill he'd drop dead.

"I wasn't thinking."

"You're right you weren't. Just cause you're sad and insecure doesn't mean you're gonna take it out on us." Kat crosses her arms.

"I'm sorry... How do I fix it?" Ricky asks a pleading look in his eye. The Turners are all he has anymore. And he fucked it up with one stupid argument.

"Wait till he calms down. Then try apologizing." Kat says before walking off. Ricky sighs, kind of glad he doesn't have practice, he doesn't want to face his coach. Though he also doesn't want to be around the firehouse either, it's better than the look of disappointment coming his way when he sees Coach tomorrow.

After School

Maverick walks off the bus and across the street to the firehouse. He sees Kelly standing there waiting for him with an angry look on his face. Ricky rolls his eyes uninterested in the lecture he knows is oncoming. Today was long enough without whatever Kelly was going to yell at him for.

"Maverick! Why did your teacher just call me and say you haven't turned in a single assignment the last two weeks?"

"Cause I haven't done my homework the last two weeks keep up old man." Ricky sassed as he walked by him.

"This serious Ricky. Go sit down right there and do your work." He commands but Ricky just rolls his eyes and continues walking. Kelly angrily follows him into the common room.

"What's up with you?" Herrmann asks Severide looking over at where Ricky was digging through the cupboards for a snack.

"Ricky hasn't been doing his school work and is ignoring me."

"You need force in your voice what's his middle name?"

"Anson." Severide looks at the older man confused.

"Maverick Anson Dalton!" Herrmann shouts everyone in the room looks at him. "Get your ass at that table and do your homework."

"No. I'm not one of your like 50 kids you can't tell me what to do." He grabs a drink and walks out.

"That kid has no respect for adults," Herrmann claims plopping down next to Mouch.

"Why would he respect you or any of us? He just met us two weeks ago." Carver speaks up looking up from his phone.

"He's got a point. We're just his foster parent's coworkers." Ritter agrees.

"Okay, I'm going to go talk to him. Like a person not yelling or whatever it was you tried." Stella says patting her husband's shoulder before walking past him out of the room.

"Should I go help her?"

"No just back her up in whatever parenting decision she's about to make," Herrmann says glancing over. Meanwhile, Stella makes it to the bunk room. Ricky doesn't even look up just keeps his headphones in as he draws.