Chapter 5: First day of school

Maverick hated new schools. The teachers always treat him weirdly. The students who thought bullying the new kid was the most fun they'd had all year. This time though he wasn't nervous. He plays hockey at a rink not too far from his new school, Turner Five Rink. They run a nonprofit to get underprivileged kids ranging from 5-18 into hockey. He started playing for them when he was seven and he's moved through each team with the rink owner/his coach's nephew James. He's best friends with James or JT as everyone calls him along with his coach's daughter, Kat. Them and JT's brother, Robby go to his new school. He's never gone to school with them before, he thought it would be cool to have friends at his school. Something he hasn't had since he was little.

"Are you nervous?" Stella asks the teenage boy who was sitting at the counter.

"No," Ricky says taking the last bite of his toast. He reaches for his bookbag.  Kelly watches him tuck his sketchbook into the big pocket of his tattered bookbag.

"Hey bud would you like a new backpack? We can pick you up one tomorrow after you get done with school."

"I'm fine. Stop wasting your money on me." Ricky says before he grabs his bag.

"It's not a waste," Stella assures.

"If you say so." Maverick shrugs looking at his watch. Kelly noticed his watch the first day he met him. He had a better look at it when they were at the firehouse. It's a nice watch though the glass on it now cracked. "I have to go." He grabs the plastic bag that held the lunch Kelly made him. A PB&J, with chips and a Pepsi.

"Okay, you still have a ride to the firehouse from your coach right?" Kelly asks him.

"Yeah. Bye." Maverick says before walking out the door. He looks at his lunch and sighs. Okay, so this was definitely one of his better families. Packed lunches, nice apartment, his own room, Kelly and Stella are nice. He doesn't understand it though. Why do they want to buy him nice things or why they're packing him nice lunches? They've only known him 4 days and they're treating him better than his own mom treated him. He doesn't trust it there's something fishy and he's going to find out what.

He spent most of the bus ride stuck in his thoughts. He hated new schools, new teachers, new classmates, it all sucked. The only plus to this school was Katherine, Robby, and JT. He plays hockey with James and used to with Kat but she now figure skates and plays baseball instead. Jt is technically Katherine's cousin. Him and his brother, Robby have been living with Kat's family since James was 5. They've been raised more as siblings rather than cousins though.

Ricky walks through the halls with the guidance counselor. She was going on about something but he wasn't paying attention. He couldn't care less about the spiel he gets every time. The speech of a new school is a good opportunity for a new start. Ricky looks at the door they stop at.

"Go on in this is you." The counselor says, Ricky nods and walks in everyone pausing to look at him.

"Class we have a new student, this is Maverick. Bud, why don't you introduce yourself?" The teacher suggests with a smile.

"I'm Ricky." He says before walking to the back where he finds his best friends sitting with a seat open between them. He grins at them, he's never gone to the same school as them. This is a first and he's excited about it, to say the least. Normally he only sees them at hockey-related things other than that they mostly only talk over Snapchat. But now he gets to see them pretty much every day.

"Hey, Ricky," Jt whispers.

"Hey, guys." He whispers back before pulling his sketchbook out.