Living together - /4

It's Saturday evening, 8.48. Nick and I are both sitting on my bed. We puffed the pillows against the wall, and my laptop is set between us. We're watching Netflix. My watchlist decided for us, as I didn't want to get into the discussion of what we both like. "You're good with The Office?" We're into the third episode for this evening, started right after eating any leftovers we could find in the fridge.

"Just so you know, didn't really feel like shaving my legs this morning, so you'll have to live with that."

"Okay? Not like I care about that." Nick doesn't even look away from the screen. His arms are still crossed, legs stretched out and ankles crossed.

"So, you'd be fine if I had all hairy legs?" I also don't look away from the screen. My eyes are starting to hurt, as we've turned off all lights. It's only the gloomy white light shining on our faces.

"I mean, we're not dating or whatever."

"If we were you'd care?"

"Yeah." Nick leans over me to grab his water from the nightstand. The first time he did it, he smelled like nothing specific. A natural smell neither bad, nor interesting enough to remember, but I enjoy it anyway.

"Why?"

Instead of taking his glass though, Nick takes mine and hands it to me. Only then does he take his and drinks something. "I don't know. I just prefer smooth skin."

"But you're not shaving your legs." We look at each other after all, just for a brief time.

"Am, no. Why should I?" He chuckles at himself and runs a hand through his hair. "Alright, wait, before you say anything; I know that's just reinforcing patriarchy, or whatever, but do you really want your boyfriend to shave his legs?"

I smile at myself too, and we turn back to the screen. "No."

"Cause then if you were in a relationship, would you shave your legs?"

I pull my outstretched legs to me and cross them while talking. "If? How are you sure I'm not in one right now?"

"Well, are you?" Nick raises an eyebrow when looking at me.

"No, but you're just once again making it sound like you can't imagine me being in one."

"I never said that."

"I know, I'm just saying. Whenever we're talking about sex or relationships, you have this tone as if you can't picture me doing it."

"Would you prefer I did?"

I'm glad we're both looking at the screen again, watching as Jim walks up to Pam. I have to think of last night, when all he did was turn to look at the ceiling, instead of answering my question. It's weird wondering if he ever actually thought of me sleeping with someone.

"I'm not saying you should picture-picture me. Like not literally."

"Good. And just so we're clear, I can imagine you having sex and all that-not literally of course."

I take his cup and place both of ours back on the nightstand. "Once again, you..."

"How do you want me to put it?" He pulls his left leg up to his chest. "You want me to add to everything 'oh, Aria, by the way, I know you had sex, had relationships, and then continue?"

"God no. Let's just not talk about it again."

"Fine."

We both keep on watching the show. Angela complains about Oscar, and Kelly hits on Ryan. We laugh a bunch of times. We just smile a bunch of times. We just stay silent and take in how the next episode starts.