Lake - /11

Though Nick didn't say anything about being back in shape or not, Saturday I finally went to see him play. I didn't tell him, I told nobody. Instead, I just bought a ticket, put on a university hoodie and beanie and went to the game. The arena was full, but not packed and though I received some strange looks sitting by myself, I still enjoyed it.

It took me a while to figure out which player Nick was. He never told me his number and though he lived with me long enough for me to learn his number form the hung-up jerseys, I had to watch the bench closely to realize he was number 25. And after I learned that I never paid much attention to the puck. I watched him on the bench, and I watched him during his shifts. I watched him skate backwards during backchecks and I watched him joined the offense during forechecks. I watched him battle for the puck and landing hits, as well as receiving hits. And every time I flinched, remembering what he said about his injury. How could he play without being scared to get hurt again? I knew they trained for exactly that not to happen, they wore all that equipment, and still, I could not help thinking that last time it also didn't help. After the overtime win, I quickly left the arena, hoping I wouldn't run into anyone I knew, least of all Nick.

Still, when the next day our friend groups mix and go to a lake together, I look at Nick differently. Seeing him in action, made him even more attractive. It was Brandon's idea to do something together. Surprisingly he and Nick ended up connecting on Instagram and since both Liz and him were curious to spend more time with Nick, Brandon used it as an excuse to let Nick invite his friends too. At least to me it felt like the entire thing was simply meant for both Nick's and my friends to get to know us.

Despite that, the guys gathered around the grill we brought, while Liz and I spread out the picnic blanket and seated us down by the lake. Though I know Brandon would also love to hear how the date went for me-more than just the brief message I sent about it having been "amazing"-I already told Liz everything. 'Everything' not being much more than what she already knew.

"We just grabbed coffee and cake."

"So? What did you talk about? What did it feel like? Did he pay?"

I briefly glanced over my shoulder to look at the guys. The weirdest part to me was Troy being here. It was weird suddenly sharing friends with him. It was weird knowing the guys would at least with one sentence also talk about Thursday, and it was strange to think Troy learning about my date not from me. He wouldn't ask any of the questions he used to; whether the guy held open my door, paid for the food, didn't immediately try to kiss me, gave me the distance I needed, whether the guy drove me home and made sure I actually reached my door and apartment safely. Troy wouldn't need to ask, cause he already knew Nick and he could just ask him himself.

I turned back to the lake. "Yeah, Nick paid, but I also would've been fine if he didn't."

Liz rolls her eyes. "Right, cause you're so emancipated, eh? You know it's fine if you let the guy pay."

"I did, remember? He did pay."

"Good", she says. "What did he order?"

"A cappuccino."

"Wasn't expecting that."

I chuckle. "Cause it's too feminine for a hockey player?"

Liz looks at me and shrugs. "You're the one who actually said it."

We laugh. "I know a bunch of guys who drink cappuccino."

Liz snorts. "Bunch of guys being Brandon?"

I shrug and pull some of the grass between my legs. "Maybe." I let go of the grass. "Also, I really don't think drinking a certain coffee makes you more feminine or masculine."