Final Game - /17

"If I had to, I'd probably just throw it in the water somewhere. Like maybe rent a boat or something, drive out a bit, and dump it there."

"But wouldn't that be suspicious? Like if they could link you to the murder, don't you think taking out a boat would be make you suspicious."

Leslie raises her glass in Darcy's direction. "It would only be suspicious if they could find the body."

I shake my head. "But they have cameras everywhere in the port. How do you wanna get the body on the boat?"

Leslie shrugs. "Just take the boat, dock somewhere without cameras and get the body then."

"So, you'd first have to find that spot, and hide the body until then."

"I'll keep it in the car for that time." Leslie drinks from her wine.

Darcy and I are still not convinced. "But you can't just drive around with a dead body in your car."

"Why not?", she says, grimacing when one of the players using the karaoke machine hits the note even more off key than usual.

"Cause dead bodies smell?"

"Do they though?"

I shrug and also take a sip of my drink. "I don't know, but that's what they always say, right?"

"I mean, if you put Josh's hockey bag in your car, too, I'm sure nobody would notice."

The three of us laugh. Though I've met a bunch of Nick's teammates before, today is the first time really getting to know some of their partners. Already during dinner, Darcy, Leslie, and I started talking, but when the guys rushed to the karaoke machine, we opened the discussion where best to hide a body. Both Darcy and I agreed to take it and drive upstate and hide it somewhere in the woods or mountains. We'd both recruit our partners to take with us, both aware we lack the strength needed to carry a body far enough.

"Like seriously, hockey bags stink. They just smell absolutely disgusting. The first time Josh opened his, I was like, 'how the hell can you keep using this', and he was just like, 'this is normal'. How?"

"At least Nick hangs his stuff up after every game."

Darcy widens her eyes. "He does? God, I wish Ty would do that. All he does is throw it in the corner and be like, 'that's gonna dry itself'. Like, dude, it's not about drying, it's also about getting that freaking smell out of there."

"Seriously, hockey's disgusting."

I watch as Nick pats the guy with the awful voice on the back. I can hear the table's chirps from across the room. Though Nick complained the entire drive here that he didn't wanna go, he's been having a great time since we got here. Being around his team like this, it's different than just having a few guys over now and then. I can feel his mood lifting, his negativity disappearing, even if it's just for the night.

"How'd you and Nick meet by the way? Did you have class together?"

I turn back to the girls. "Not quite. Apparently, I slept in his bed without knowing it."

Both Darcy and Leslie wiggle their eyebrows, laughing when they realize. "Sleeping in his bed, yeah of course."

I roll my eyes. Smiling as I shake my head. "I don't even remember it, alright? Nick said I was sick or something and he found me in his bed."

"Sick from being away from him you mean."

I shake my head, laughing. "I had a cold or something. I'm serious."

But they still don't believe me. They continue to wiggle with their eyebrows, look at me as they drink from their glasses. "You don't have to lie to us. Ty and I ended up dating cause classmates with benefits failed."