Chapter 8 ~ A Kiss under the Mistletoe

"Holly!" I turned, watching Flynn stumble clumsily toward me. "Holly." 

I smiled at him, taking hold of his shoulder to steady him. 

"Are you having fun Holly?" he asked, his voice very slurred. 

"Yes Flynn, i'm having fun." 

He frowned at me, shaking his head. "You're not happy. Holly why aren't you happy anymore?" 

I sighed. Should I bother explaining this to a drunk boy? He was my best friend. "I'm lonely Flynn, everyone here has come with someone. But I didn't. I'm alone." I told him as clearly as possible. 

He took a few moments longer than usual to take this in, swaying slightly. "Then I'll be your friend, you don't have to be lonely. You have me." he grinned happily, as of he'd just discovered the answer to world peace. 

"Thank you Flynn." he looked like he was going to collapse. "Wait here one second." 

I ran through the house, grabbing the first free chair I could find and carrying it back to him. He sat down heavily, resting his head against me. 

"You look very pretty today Holly." he murmured dreamily. "You should wear dresses more often." 

I smiled, patting his head. "Thank you Flynn. You look nice in your-ehh-suit." 

He starting chuckling quietly to himself, making weird little amusing noises, reaching up and holding my hand. It was weird to think I had become so close to someone so mad as Flynn, yet I loved him more than any of my friends. 

"Want a sandwich?" a young girl asked, holding out a plate. 

"Thats just bread silly. You need other things to make it into a sandwich." Flynn said, pulling a weird face at her. 

"Sorry about him, he has no self control." I said to the girl. 

She nodded, walking away slowly. 

I leant down so my lips were level with Flynn's ears.  "You like making things awkward, don't you?" 

He just giggled in response, too drunk to function properly. 

I sighed, as funny as it was I didn't want him to be puking everywhere, which was bound to happen. I managed to find a plastic cup, as it would be difficult for him to break it, and filled it with water, handing it to him. Eagerly he downed the whole cup in a matter of moments, holding it out to me so I could get another. I spent the next ten or so minuets giving him more and more water, hoping he didn't start vomiting that instead. 

As the evening went on more and more people staggered in and out of the kitchen, making Flynn laugh for one reason or another. I wished I had completely overdone it with the drinks so I could be as happy and carefree as he was right now. 

The truth was, I was getting sadder by the minuet. Every time I saw people kissing, dancing, even talking, it was like I had been stabbed in the heart. I was surrounded by people, yet somehow I was still desperately lonely. 

'Shane' I thought, hoping I didn't look crazy, 'why did you leave me Shane? I need you right now. I really need you.' 

If there wasn't so many people around I would've just burst into tears. Maybe I should try and find Sophie, or June. They might not be as drunk as Flynn, and they might understand my pain a little more. 

As I turned to leave Flynn something caught my eye. Something outside. 

There he was, standing in the wooden gazebo which was decorated with ornate little fairy lights. Smiling at me, his brown hair just as soft as the day he left me. Shane was stood in the garden. Very much alive. 

It took me a moment to figure out what to do before I jumped to life. Time seemed to be going in slow motion as I dashed through the house, bumping into people, knocking them over, hitting my leg on the coffee table. But I didn't care. 

Shane was alive. That was all that mattered. 

The outside air was cold against my bare arms and face, hitting me like a wall the moment I stepped outside. A huge smile was set on my face as I quickly walked around towards the wooden structure. But, as I got closer Shane seemed fainter, more distant. The more steps I took towards him, the less he was really there. I stepped into the gazebo, shivering from the cold. 

"Shane?" I called quietly, rubbing my arms. "Shane." 

But he wasn't there. He had never been there. It had all been in my mind. 

A hand rested softly on my shoulder, smooth hands that smelt a little of cinnamon. It was my mind again. It had to be. 

"Holly, what are you doing out here? It's far too cold." 

I turned, looking up into two round, brown eyes, rimmed with black. 

Bill. 

"I don't know." I murmured. 

He sighed, pulling me into a hug, helping me to warm up. "You're alone too then." he observed, his long hair falling over his shoulders. 

"I'm always alone." I answered. "I didn't think you would come." 

"I had to, didn't I? Had to keep you company in being alone." 

Maybe I had seen Shane out here. My new Shane What if, in a twist of fate, Bill and I were meant to be together? 

I looked up. Someone had hooked a small bunch of white flowers up on the gazebo. 

"Mistletoe." Bill murmured thoughtfully, still hugging me tight. "How about, this year, we won't be sad at Christmas? We don't have to be alone." 

I smiled happily, standing up on my toes. "Maybe this Christmas." I nodded. 

A small smoke crept across his face. "I think-I think I love you Holly." he whispered. "From the moment I saw you I loved you." 

"I love you too Bill." I replied, my heart thudding against my ribcage. 

Bill leant down, pressing his soft lips to mine. 

A kiss under the mistletoe. 

A kiss from my true love.

~The End~