009

THE FINAL STRETCH-009

The trio ran through the dining room toward the other exit before sliding to a stop before them. Jack frantically tried opening them, but the door was locked, Eve helped her brother by grabbing ahold of the handles, and together, they pulled as hard as they could.

But unfortunately, the doors didn't budge.

Rose tapped rapidly on her lover's shoulder. "Jack, Eve, look."

The siblings looked where the redhead pointed and saw Lovejoy approaching them with the pistol. Jack grabbed his girls' hands, leading them further into the dining room, and hid behind a table.

Icy water flooded the dining room as the trio started crawling around the table, getting more hidden from Lovejoy. Jack turned to his sister and lover, placing a finger on his lips and silently telling them to stay where they were.

Eve watched as her brother crawled to the other side as Lovejoy's voice echoed. "I know you're here. No use prolonging this. It's only a matter of time."

The manservant's voice grew closer, indicating he was closer to the girls. Eve placed a hand on Rose's back as the young of the two pressed herself against the chairs.

The water was up to their waist as they kneeled on the ground, Eve kept as still as possible—not wanting the water to make a sound, but Rose wasn't so lucky. The redhead shifted her weight, causing one of her hands (that was on a chair) to slip off and make ripples in the water.

Eve's fingers curled around the black jacket Rose was wearing, anxiously waiting until Lovejoy would come around the table and spot them. Rose squeezed her eyes closed; her hands gripped the chair's leg.

The women tensed as Lovejoy's footsteps splashed against the water, and his shadow illuminated over them.

Eve and Rose looked up to see Lovejoy standing over them with his pistol aimed at them. "I've been looking for you, Miss."

The manservant smirked before; out of nowhere, Jack tackled Lovejoy from behind, sending them straight into a glass window. Lovejoy's head went through it as Jack gripped the wrist that held the pistol.

Rose flinched as a gunshot went off as her lover and ex-fiancé's manservant fought. Jack flung his body to the right, sending him and Lovejoy over a table before landing on the ground.

Rose and Eve stood up, trying to get to the boy as Lovejoy lifted him by the suspenders and threw him back; his body surged underwater.