CHAPTER FIVE

Tim Shepard and his gang have just arrived at George's party. The news makes Becca's head swirl. She feels like her two worlds are colliding ⏤ which is ridiculous, because Tim and George were on the baseball team together and have history long before Becca started becoming involved.

Seeing Tim and George together in the same place when she has been hanging out with them separately feels like she's somehow betraying them.

You don't owe 'em anything. You're not with either of them, so stop actin' guilty when you've got nothing to feel guilty about.

"Holy shit," Annie mutters and Becca agrees. Holy shit!

"Do you think George invited Tim and his boys?" Diana asks, just as George reappears from outside. His eyebrows are raised in surprise and he looks lost for words at the sight of the Shepard gang.

"I think George has answered your question," Annie whispers to Diana, pointing at him. Leaning into Becca she says, "maybe he heard you were comin' and wanted to see ya."

Becca doesn't respond, still looking at George and Tim. George approaches Tim, an unsure smile on his face. "What brings you over here, boys?"

"Heard there was a party," Patty replies, arms outstretched. "Figured we'd swing by and see what's happenin'."

"Is there a problem?" Tim asks cooly.

Becca knows what he's referring to. The tensions that existed between the Socs and Greasers cooled down considerably after the deaths of Bob Sheldon, Johnny Cade and Dallas Winston. A truce of sorts was created as everybody came to understand that the opposite side wasn't the enemy. Some people, though, still believed the other side were the enemy, despite everything that had happened.

George shakes his head frantically, not wanting to get onto Tim Shepard's bad side. "No, no problem, buddy. You're all welcome."

Tim claps George's shoulder. "Good man. We should grab a drink sometime. You're off in Massachusetts for college, ain't that right?"

"Michigan," George corrects.

"Michigan," Tim echoes. "You can tell me all about Michigan over a beer. You got the good stuff stored here?"

"Everything's in the kitchen," George answers, looking slightly dazed as Tim saunters in the direction of the Russells' kitchen.

Annie nudges Becca in the back with her elbow. "Is it weird seein' you're two boys together?"

Becca scowls. "Cut that out. They ain't my boys."

"If only we could all have two boys chasin' after us," Annie sighs dramatically, not caring that Becca told her to stop it.

George's eyes meet her's in the crowded room and Becca's heart skips a beat. Her throat is dry as he approaches her and she swallows a large gulp of her drink. "Can we talk?" he asks after smiling politely at Annie and Diana. "Alone?"

Becca nods her head and lets herself be guided by George to an empty corner of the room. "Whaddya want to talk about?"

"If you were gonna invite Tim Shepard and his boys, you could've let me know," George tells her.

"What? You think I told them? Why would I do that? It ain't my party," Becca replies, frowning.

George frowns too. "So you didn't tell them?"

"No," Becca confirms. Then, she asks carefully, "it ain't a problem that they're here, yeah?" George wasn't like that in high school; he never let the divide consume him especially since he was in the middle. He wasn't a Soc or a Greaser and therefore floated, talking to whoever he wanted.