CHAPTER EIGHT

Becca falls into a routine after her talk with Annie. She works her allotted shifts at the diner and spends all her free time with her best friends.

Sara and Glenn have kept their promise to allow Becca to stay at their place as long as she needs. The only time Becca goes back home is to grab some extra clothes and accessories when she knows her mother is working at the hospital.

This isn't the most mature way to deal with things, but Becca doesn't know any other way. If she goes home, she and her mother will just end up in another argument and Becca is sick of their father dominating their conversation. For ten years she has pretended like he didn't exist and now he's coming back like a natural disaster; just like how he abruptly left.

Avoiding her problems has made the week fly by. As Saturday night approaches, Becca needs to get out and do something. Annie has the same idea and they agree to go to the drive-in and watch a movie. Diana's working and she promised that they can use her employee discount on food and drinks.

Annie had asked if Billy could tag along and Becca couldn't really say no. She had made Annie promise to not complain about Tim, so it would be hypocritical of her to do the same about Billy.

"I'm thinkin' we go and watch an action film," Billy says as he speeds off to the drive-in.

Becca's in the back of his pickup truck, gripping the handle of the door tightly. "Only if it isn't James Bond."

"What's your problem with James Bond? The guy is everythin' all men 'round the world wanna be; smooth with the ladies, cool, a good fighter."

Becca hadn't really liked how the character forced himself onto the women in the movies. It had made her feel uncomfortable; relationships were about both people being comfortable. A woman's sole duty wasn't just to please a man. And the man wasn't owed a woman's interest either.

"It's not what I'm into," Becca replies diplomatically. They wouldn't understand what Becca meant if she explained it to them. Especially Billy, who'd just make fun of her and call her a feminist like it was a dirty word.

Billy laughs, but any amusement is devoid from the sound. "Oh, you like watching those romance movies, huh? When the man and woman fall in love and live happily ever after." He doesn't bother to hide the taunting in his voice.

"Billy, don't be like that. Becca didn't say anything rude about the movies you like," Annie tells her boyfriend, placing a hand on his upper arm.

"I ain't being rude! You know that Becs, don't ya?" Billy's eyes meet hers in the rearview mirror.

Annie clenches her jaw. "Yep, I know you're just jokin'," she mumbles, staring out the window.

Billy turns his attention back to Annie. "See, told ya! Just two pals kiddin' around."

A re-run of a Paul Newman movie is about to start as the trio arrive. Annie and Billy settle themselves in the back of the truck, lying down on some blankets. Becca declines their offer and goes to sit on the seats, needing to get away from the couple. Being the third wheel isn't how she plans to enjoy her Saturday night.

"I had to get away from them," Becca tells Diana as she slips away for another Coke. "I love Annie, but I ain't being the third wheel."

Diana's behind the counter sorting out Becca's drink, laughing. "So you're sittin' all by yourself then?"

Becca nods her head. "Just me, my Coke and my popcorn."

Diana hands Becca her drink. "Swing by again if you want. It's so boring waitin' around for customers." She leans against the counter, slouching.