Begin Again

Wednesdays were monumental for Leni.

It was during that day that she only had one class to teach and would have the rest of the day to herself. Wednesdays were also the only day of the week she didn't feel like working more after teaching, even when it was a weekday. She would always opt to enjoy her free schedule instead. Normally, she'd spend that free time with her children but they already scheduled their family bondings on Sundays. Whenever asked if she would kindly entertain a business call during a Wednesday, she would decline and say that she'd much rather take the call tomorrow. Though there was always something to clean at the house, an errand to run, a task to do, she would never do them on a Wednesday. She would make time for it on any other day of the week, but never Wednesdays.

Wednesdays were for her.

They were for walking around the streets of Boston alone, exploring cafés and restaurants, reading books in parks, and spending the rest of the day indulging herself in whatever it was that she wanted to do.

They were for visiting new places like museums, walking along historical paths like the Freedom Trail, or simply staying on campus, watching the students live their university life.

They were for walking around the mall and window shopping, sometimes even buying something she didn't need to buy. They were for going to the marketplace, trying new food, exploring a variety of foreign ingredients. When she's in the mood, Wednesdays were for trying out a new recipe. She wouldn't have any time to do that on any other day of the week. But on a Wednesday, it was fine.

She'd do a lot of things on Wednesdays. And she always preferred to do them alone.

Wednesdays were for her...

And for Risa.

It was on a Wednesday that she married her back in 2016. During that year, she rarely saw her on Wednesdays after agreeing that they'd meet on Tuesdays and Fridays. But Wednesdays were the days she'd wake up next to Risa after staying the night.

It was also during a Wednesday evening that she confessed that she loved her, then they signed the divorce papers afterwards.

The first and the last time she danced with Risa was on a Wednesday. The first and the last time they kissed was on a Wednesday too.

She last saw her on a Wednesday.

The week before Leni left, Risa insisted that they see each other. Leni told her they didn't have to, noting that the senator had her hands full with everything that was currently happening, but Risa being Risa would not take no for an answer. If it would be the last time she'd see the woman she has loved for so long, then it wouldn't be too much to make time for her.

"Hindi hassle sa akin ang puntahan ka kahit saglit," Risa asserted.

Wednesdays were monumental for Leni because that day would always remind her of Risa.

The cool breeze welcomed the attorney when she stepped out of her classroom. Her final and only class for the day finally arrived at an end. She walked on the still-empty halls of the building, the sound of her footsteps echoing. It was cool and quiet — very much like her life abroad. Her phone buzzed in her pocket and she pulled it out, seeing a message from Kiko.

"Malapit na mag-midterms. Uuwi ka ba?"

She chuckled, remembering that it had been nearly 3 years since she started her fellowship at Harvard. The initial fellowship offer was extended after her huge success. She has also been to a lot of places since 2022, including invitations to teach and to speak all over the world, making herself and her NGO, Angat Buhay, more globally known. Various companies and organizations wanted to work with her, but after a year of being in different countries almost every week tired her out. Harvard offered a teaching opportunity for a few more semesters and she accepted.

Ace of HeartsOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara