Here We Go Again

"We have a year to prepare so we have to decide now."

"Ngayon pa lang, may makinarya na ang AB and we can start mobilizing the volunteer groups. This is another pink movement in the making but we need it to be better."

"Mas marami ang oras nating maghanda ngayon kumpara before. Let's finalize the details and create a timeline. Hindi tayo pwedeng maubusan ng oras ulit."

"Leni, would you?"

"No. Asawa ko na si Risa ngayon. Maybe not in this country, but she's my wife still. At alam na ng lahat 'yun. That would make the top two executive positions a family affair. Hindi naman ayun ang gobyernong ipinaglalaban natin."

"Leni already stated na she has no plans to run again. Risa's the obvious choice."

"She is and we have data to back it up. Iloilo is her bailiwick, she has significant pull in the vote-rich regions because of her programs. She has a solid base now and because everyone knows she's Leni's wife, we can count Leni's hometown a part of that. And let's not forget she managed to pull votes even from supporters of the other team during the 2022 elections."

It was so loud.

So boisterous.

So many things to do, so many challenges to prepare for.

But I'm ready. Let's do this.

She was excited.

Her eyes scanned all the documents before her, the maps on the walls almost imprinted in her mind. She tapped her pen on the table, listening carefully to the well-thought out game plan for the upcoming elections. Everyone was agreeing with each other, suggestions thrown left and right, each point on the agenda gone over smoothly and efficiently.

She remembered being in the same position 6 years ago, livid and tired more than ever. How everyone's voices seemed to be louder the more they disagreed, how no one seemed to have a coherent idea to begin with, no suggestions on which candidate to push for the executive position.  She remembered her head pounding and her patience growing thinner and thinner. She was glad as hell she wasn't in that place again.

They've been having political meetings for a while now. Dinners and closed-door conversations with people from the opposition, allies or not. The same thing they did years ago, they did again. This time, earlier and with a better game plan in mind. Risa and Leni went to those meetings hand-in-hand. Although Leni had no plans to run for formal politics, she knew she had an important role to play. Aside from that, she had to be with Risa in this fight too. As she had promised.

Risa was pulled out of her focus when a hand reached for hers underneath the table. She looked over at her wife, sitting down beside her. Leni smiled reassuringly at her and squeezed her hand. This was another thing that was different compared to before. Leni was with her. And they were okay — more than okay.

Several cups of coffee and a few hours later, the meeting concluded and everyone has left. Risa stayed behind, wanting to take it all in. She stood before the map of the country, the campaign trail draft outlined by stickers. Her heart pounded in her chest as memories of the 2022 campaign swarmed her mind.

"I want you on my slate, Risa."

Pink lights, banners and placards containing witty remarks, the most creative of souvenirs that filled a museum. House-to-house campaigns and historic rallies one after another.

"Kababaihan para sa kababaihan. Hashtag LenRisa."

"LENI. Lawyer, Ekonomista, Naninindigan, I love you, Sen. Risa."

"Crush kita, Senator Risa."

"Senator Risa, I love you."

Celebrities campaigning for them. Endorsements sealed from various groups, debates on the one hand and interviews on the other. New routines, cheek kisses, post-rally dinners, inside jokes, and a pink leatherband.

"I don't want to wear this. But I want to wear it. For you."

"Ex-wifi supplier ko 'yan si Sen. Risa."

"Please don't leave. Don't leave me here alone, please, Leni."

"It's your smile, your face, your lips that I miss..."

At the center was the woman, clad in pink, who carried Risa's love along with her, making history.

"Paano kung ikaw pa rin?"

A smile etched on her lips as she remembered all that they've been through. How far have we come? She thought fondly.

Inhaling sharply, she turned her gaze to the picture by the wall. Leni, at the center of the stage, back turned to the camera, waving at the crowd. My superstar. She could hear the cheers in her head. The powerful chants of her wife's name, making the ground beneath them shook. She could see the crowd as if it was still before her, stretching so far that it seemed endless.

It's so loud.

So boisterous.

So many things to do, so many challenges to prepare for.

Doubts replaced the memories of that campaign. Risa wondered if she could truly do this. The working part was easy, she knew that. She believed in herself when it came to that. But to campaign? To captivate the hearts of the people just like her wife did, could she? Was her team right when they said she was the best choice for this?

Her mind coursed through the endless possibilities and what-ifs. At every new scenario imagined, she could feel her nervousness creep in.

Suddenly, a familiar flowery scent made its way to her nostrils. From her peripheral view, she could see the long eyelashes, soulful eyes looking at her lovingly, pointed nose, and that smile. The smile she loved seeing everyday as soon as she woke up. The smile she would do anything at any point in time just so she could see.

And even without saying anything, her presence was enough to remind her: Let me be your peace.

She met the other woman's gaze, realizing that she would never not be in awe of her beauty. They laced their fingers together and Risa heard her speak, tone soft but firm. Just like how she told Risa she wanted her to be on her slate six years ago.

"I'm here. You have me. Now and always."

You are my peace.