Not Just Yet

Flashback (1 of 4)

It was around the end of March when the two of them decided that they were ready to tell their kids. Maybe ease it to them little by little, at least. At first, it was letting them get caught on a video call with each other. Of course, they won't talk about their relationship during instances that they intended to be caught. Work things only or random stories about their day, they both agreed.

Risa's children were the first to notice. They often found their mother talking to Leni on the phone before she left for work, even when in a hurry. More often after dinner, when they've finally decided to retire to their rooms for the night. Risa's phone would blast with the FaceTime call ringtone, catching them all by surprise.

But the senator's kids only brought it up that one time they were having dinner late and decided to order in.

"Ma, nandyan na daw po 'yung order." Sinta said, arriving at her mother's doorstep.

"Oo, tapos sabi ng staff ko 'yung kila Kiko daw...wait, Lens," Risa stopped telling her story to Leni and she turned her attention to her youngest daughter. "Nak, the money's there by the cabinet. Kayo na kumuha. I'll be down in a while."

Sinta nodded hesitantly but obeyed. "What was I saying nga ulit?" Risa's laugh and Leni's response was the last she heard before going down the stairs.

A few minutes later, Risa ended the call because Leni had to get ready for her day. She walked down the stairs and saw her children seated in the dining area, waiting for her. "Tapos na kayo mag-usap ni Tita Leni?" Issa asked as they started their meal.

"Yeah, she has to get ready for work na raw eh." Risa replied, trying to keep her tone as casual and as nonchalant as she could.

"Ma, napansin ko lang. You've been talking to her a lot recently," Ianna said. "Like a lot, a lot."

Risa furrowed her eyebrows for the added uncaring effect. Internally, though, her heart was racing. She hoped she wouldn't say the wrong thing. "Hmm, yes. Is there something wrong with that?"

"Wala naman. We just noticed na it's more often now. Kahit madaling-madali ka sa umaga, magka-vidcall pa rin kayo."

"We just missed each other, that's all." Risa shrugged, chuckling. "Tagal na rin since she left to go back and we haven't really talked a lot kasi busy sa elections, remember?"

"Halata ngang miss na miss niyo 'yung isa't isa," Sinta laughed. Risa laughed along with her, albeit a bit warily. She carefully eyed her children's reactions and was relieved at the lack of negative ones.

The next time it was brought up was when the third package from Leni, all in the same month, arrived at the senator's office. She carried the flowers with her at home, her bag on the other arm. She had her staff carry the box that Leni sent because it was filled with stuff from Boston. Risa remembered calling her girlfriend when the package arrived.

"Ano na namang pinadala mo dito?" She asked, tone amused and disbelieving.

"Buksan mo kaya," Leni quipped, rolling her eyes impatiently.

"My love, are these your clothes?"

"'Yung iba. Sabi mo namimiss mo na ako eh. The others are souvenirs tapos may snacks din dyan. Bigay mo kila Issa."

"Namimiss na kita kaya ka nagpadala ng damit mo dito? Pa'no 'pag wala ka nang damit dyan?"

"Ang dami dami kong damit, darling," Leni laughed.