Way Back To You

"How long are you staying here?" Leni asked as she and Risa walked side-by-side along the streets of Boston after getting coffee at Leni's favorite café. The weather was a little nicer than it had been the previous days, the sun shone brightly but it wasn't as hot nor as humid, and the trees swayed along with the wind.

It was a beautiful day.

Wednesdays were always beautiful days,

"Two or three weeks at most," Risa replied. "Tuloy pa rin naman ang trabaho kahit nandito, but I like the change in scenery."

"Nandito ka ba para kumbinsihin akong umuwi in time for the midterms?" Leni smirked and Risa gave her a questioning look. "Kung may pupunta dito para kumbinsihin ka sa midterms, hindi ako 'yun. Maybe Kiko, but not me."

"Grabe ka sa'kin, Senator Risa. Bakit naman hindi mo ako kukumbinsihin? Ayaw mo na ba akong makasama?"

Risa faced Leni and deadpanned, "Pinuntahan nga kita dito eh."

"Pero 'yung totoo, ayaw mo bang umuwi ako? Lalo na't mag-eeleksyon na."

Risa didn't answer, instead, she sat on an empty park bench and tapped the empty space beside her for Leni to sit. Both women sat on the bench, looking ahead at the several people enjoying their time at the park. "Masaya ka dito diba?" Risa asked quietly.

"Oo naman. Gusto ko rin 'yung ginagawa ko."

"May parte sa'kin na gusto kang kumbinsihing umuwi. That's probably the politician part of me. You know both the country and your party need you back. Pero the other half of me says maybe you should stay here."

"And what part of you is that?"

"The part that continues to hope that you find somewhere you could be genuinely happy and free. Tapos doon, I'd find my way back to you."

"Nagawa mo naman na. Find your way back to me, I mean."

"Syempre," Risa laughed. "This goes without saying naman. I think I'll always find my way back to you."

---------------

They continued catching up with each other, mostly about work and about their kids. Risa often teased Leni that she no longer had to tell her stories about the Senate proceedings because Leni already knew what she was talking about.

"Ayoko na nga magkwento, alam mo naman na pala 'tong sinasabi ko."

"Ito naman, nanonood kasi ako. Pero hindi palagi. Ginagawa ko lang pang-relax."

"Ang ganda," Risa said, flabbergasted. "Relaxation mo ang cause of stress ko."

"Oh, dali na. Baka sakaling mabawasan ang stress kapag nagkwento ka pa sa'kin."

"Ayoko na magkwento. Napanood mo na ata lahat ng hearing kung saan ando'n ako."

"Sa totoo lang," Leni smiled shyly, "Nanonood lang ako kasi nando'n ka. Bonus na lang 'yung mga natutunan ko sa mga hearing."

Risa blushed a deep red which made Leni scratch the back of her neck in embarrassment. The younger woman recovered immediately though, a smirk playing on her lips. "Ikaw talaga, Prof. Leni. Masyado mo ata akong na-miss."

Leni shrugged, a playful look in her eyes. "Gano'n ka rin naman sa'kin. Tignan mo nga, pinuntahan mo pa ako all the way here."

The sun was setting and they both knew it was time to part ways. Leni joked about taking Risa home with her but the senator declined cheekily, saying, "At least go on a date with me first."