Prank War [17]

“Ariane Laker, please come to the office as soon as possible,” a voice through the intercom said. Cameron raised his eyebrow.

    “Are you in trouble again?”

    “You never know,” I replied, playing around with my pencil. We were sitting in the most awkward room this school had – the library.

    I wanted Cameron to help me with my homework (hopefully tricking him into doing it for me in the process), and he insisted on going to the library.

    The librarian – I swear it was hate at first sight. She kept telling me to ‘shush’ whenever a word came out of me, and that I had an extremely loud voice.

    “Well?” Cameron asked, “Aren’t you going to go?”

    “No. Why?” I asked.

    “They wanted you to go to the office,” he stated, like it was obvious, “So …. Well, this isn’t hard to understand. Why don’t you … go?”

    I found myself tapping the desk with my pencil again, and the librarian gave me another one of her murderous glare.

    It suddenly occurred to me what it could be.

    “Oh my god, my test scores,” I exclaimed, jumping up from my seat. The librarian gave me a rather loud ‘shush’. I smile sweetly at her, but she just turned away and went back to sorting the books.

    “Test?” Cameron asked.

    “Never mind,” the voice through the intercom quickly said, just as I opened my mouth to reply, “You can just stay where you are, Ariane.”

    I slumped back into my seat, “Awww.”

    “Well, let’s get back to the math worksheet, shall we?” Cameron asked, pushing it towards me, “Try to do the ones you can.”

    I looked at it for a second, and then pushed it back towards him, “There.”

    “You didn’t do anything,” he said, confused.

    “I know,” I tried to look sincere, “You told me to do all the ones I can. And I did.”

    He sighed, moving his attention back to his homework, “I know what you’re trying to do, and it’s not going to work.”

    “What am I trying to do?” I asked him innocently.

    “You’re trying to make me do all the work for you,” he replied without glancing up, “I can help you understand it, Ariane, but I have loads of homework too, you know.”

    I let out a loud sigh, “Great. Who am I supposed to ask then?”

    Looking around, I caught sight of Mackenzie making her way towards the door.

    “Mackenzie!” I yelled, getting her attention.

    “This is your last warning, young lady,” the librarian suddenly appeared with a stern look, “Another loud peep out of you and you’re banned from the library.”

    There was a brief second of silence.

    “Peep,” I said, as loud as I dared, hoping it wasn’t loud enough to get me kicked out. She glared at me again, and walked away, whispering something about younger generations being disobedient.

    “You’re not supposed to yell in a library,” Mackenzie said in a whisper,walking towards me. She was smiling though.

    “I know,” I smiled, “I was just wondering if you could help me with homework.”