Prank War [22]

“Read the instructions carefully,” Mr. Roman reminded us, “Wrong chemicals mixed together could cause something bad to happen.”

    After a few minutes of watching Max follow the instructions and mixing the different chemicals, he glanced around. Most people were focused on their lab, and almost done.

    “Here,” Max said, quickly handing me a sticky note, “Once I get Mr. Roman out of the classroom, you read this out loud to everyone.”

    “Why?” I asked him.

    “Just do it,” he replied.

    “I don’t like being told what to do.”

    “Cause you’re a rebel, right?” he asked, standing up.

    “Yup,” I folded my arms.

    “Just do it,” Max rolled his eyes and walked up to Mr. Roman. I couldn’t hear what they were saying, but a few seconds later, they headed towards the door. Max look back, and gave me the look that clearly said, ‘Now.’

    I waited until they closed the door behind them. Then I walked to the front of the room, and stood in front of the teacher’s desk.

    “Hey! Nerds!” I yelled. Barely anyone glanced by way. They were all too interesting in the lab they were doing.

    I climbed onto the teacher’s desk, “YO! PEOPLE!”

    That got their attention.

    Every one of them was staring at me like I was an alien or something. I smirked.

    “Ok, um,” I cleared my throat, and started reading what it said on the sticky note, “This is a note from Mr. Roman. He had to step out of the room to deal with some issues. But he wanted to tell you guys to mix the .. red one with the white one, and write down the reaction for extra credit. P.S., I didn’t write down the chemical names because I knew you wouldn’t be able to pronounce them. By the way, you weren’t supposed to read the ‘P.S.’ part out loud, Ariane.”

    I blushed. Of course Max would do that.

    That was probably the prank he had been planning. Of course the ‘extra credit’ part would work on these people.

    “No wait! Don’t do it!” Caden suddenly yelled. But it was too late. I saw a tall brunette pour the red liquid into the bottle containing the white colored one.

    Suddenly, it exploded, and a strong, disgusting odor filled the room. Just think of everything that smells disgusting, and combine that all together.

    Then another one exploded, followed by another.

    It was like having tons and tons of garbage dumped on you. I quickly covered my nose, and ran out of the room.

    I had to give Max some credit – a stink bomb was pure genius.

    “What’s going on here?” Mr. Roman’s voiced echoed through the hall, “What’s that stench?”

    “Stink bomb,” said a guy walked out of the classroom. Just like everyone else, he was covering his nose to try and block out the scent.

    Max quietly walked up next to me.

    “Nice,” he said, eyebrow raised, “I see you’ve convinced a couple of people to do it.”

    “Cause I’m cool like that,” I said. Then I made a face as I accidently took a breath.

    “Did you read the ‘P.S.’ part out loud?” Max asked curiously.

    “Yes,” I gave him the evil eye, “Haha. That was very funny.”

    “You know it,” he smirked. Everyone was out of the classroom now, and some people even ran outside to get a breath of fresh air.

    “Class,” Mr. Roman said loudly, “We’ll be moving to the library while they take care of the classroom.”

    “How would they take care of the stench?” I asked Max as we made our way towards the library, “Spray bottles and bottles of perfume?”

    “You know, that’s actually a pretty good idea,” he commented.

~♥~

    I walked into History class forty minutes late. Just cause I always like to skip fifth period. Which meant there was only ten minutes of class left. I didn’t know why I still bothered to show up.

    “You must be Ariane,” a lady gave me a gentle smile, “I’m Mrs. Marriot. We’re glad to have you join our class for the rest of the year. May I ask why you’re late?”

    “I uh, got lost,” I said. It was a pretty lame excuse, but she didn’t seem to care.

    I glanced around and saw that the desks were arranged so that there were six groups of people.

    “We’re doing a group competition right now,” Mrs. Marriot explained, “You came a little late though – today’s the last day. The team with the most points by the end of the class will get an automatic ‘A+’ on the History test.”

    “You can join Caden’s group, since your previous classes probably haven’t gone learned these things yet.”

    Just my luck. I was stuck with Caden again.

    I forced myself to give her a smile, and walked to where Caden was sitting, and slipped into the empty seat. I noticed I was the only girl there, with four guys. Joy.

    He looked at me, and I returned the stare.

    For the next nine minutes, I stared into space as everyone else answered questions, competing for their points or something.

    “This is your last question,” Mrs. Marriot was telling Caden, since he was the team leader. I think. “If you get this question correct, then you guys win.”

    “We have to get this,” a redhead whispered.

    Gosh, it was only an ‘A+’.

    “Uncle Sam was named after Harry S. Truman, because the ‘S’ in his name stood for Sam. Is that true or false?”

    I watched the guys look expectantly at Caden. He shrugged.

    “I don’t know this one.”

    Well that was a surprise.

    “I think it’s true,” the redhead said, “She wouldn’t ask such a random question if it was false.”

    “It’s false,” I said in a bored tone.

    All four of them turned to look at me.

    “Are you sure?” Caden asked, “It might not occur to you, but this is important to us.”

    I shrugged, “I think it’s false.”

    “I think it’s true,” the redhead cut in.

    “Ok then, don’t believe me,” I shrugged again. I didn’t care if they get an ‘A+’ or not.

    Caden stared at me for a few seconds, like he was trying to decide if he should believe me or not.

    “What’s your answer? The clock is ticking,” Mrs. Marriot asked.

    “False,” Caden answered. Whoa. He actually went with my answer?

    “That’s …” Mrs. Marriot paused for dramatic effects, “Correct!”

    Sweeet.