Chapter 2

My face flushed with embarrassment as I quickly picked myself up and plopped myself back into my chair just as Mrs Marks said, "Oh! Amanda, um, it seems as if you and Zackary have the same schedule. Would you be a dear and show him around our lovely school?" It wasn't like it was an option, so I sealed my lips and nodded my head vigorously.

"Good, Zackary-"

"Zack is fine." He mumbled. God, he's gorgeous, I think to myself.

"OK," Mrs. Marks continues, " Zack, why don't you go over and sit with Amanda."

"Alright." He makes his way down the aisle towards me and I begin to uncontrollably shift in my seat. He sits down and I notice that he has a faint smell of vanilla.

"Um, hi?" It takes a second for me to realize that he is talking to me.

"OH! Um, hi? I'm, um, Amanda... Amanda James."

"I'm Zack, but you already knew that .." His face blushes crimson.

Mrs. Marks continued the class and as I was making my peanut butter Nutella crepes with my brand new partner, I could hear everyone whispering about me and "the new guy". I heard Zack mumble something next to me and I nodded my head in his direction.

All of a sudden, I am sprayed with crepe mix, I whirl around and I see that Zack has suffered the same fate. One look at his surprised, crepe covered face and I burst out laughing.

" I just-" he started, then started laughing as soon as he saw me. By the time Mrs. Marks called for a janitor, everyone was laughing except Maybelle and Justin, even Mrs. Marks laughed in her sing-song way.

~~~~~~~~~~

I go through the rest of my classes with Zack in tow, following me like a sick puppy, it was really frankly adorable. Through every class I learned something new about him. Geometry: his eyes are so blue, with little bits of green in them if you looked close enough, English: he has somewhat of a southern drawl that's barely noticeable unless you're really listening. Chemistry revealed that his laugh was kind of hoarse and throaty. Everything I found out about him made him seem even more amazing.

I was confident as I strode through the aisles in the cafeteria to my normal table, that is until Jessie and the gang started whistling and making catcalls at me and the gorgeous boy to my right. They obviously knew I was head over heels, I was walking on air.

Well, it was fun while it lasted, I think as I see Maybelle making her way towards us. We had almost reached the table!

"Hey, I'm Maybelle. Maybelle Harmsher." she hooks her arm in his and drags him away from our table over to hers chattering the whole way.

"Don't worry, hon." says Zoey as I near the table and slam my tray with a loud Clack! Her cocoa skin and black hair give her a somewhat Native American look, only her closet friends know that she is West Indian.

"It was too good to be true," whispers Colin. One look at him and I knew he had a major crush on the new guy, too. His bright magenta hair and silver contacts make him look ominous, but everyone knew he was just a teddy bear with a big heart and an even bigger appetite.

While they were all telling me that 'it was going to happen one way or another', or 'that witch doesn't deserve him'. I noticed him untangling himself from Maybelles' arms with his lunch tray, shaking as if he had just gotten dropped into a bucket of ice water.

"Guys, Shut Up!" I gestured behind them and they turned around, mouths dropped into big O shapes. Zack slid into the seat next to me and Colin promptly reached over and took a huge bite of his hamburger, setting it gently back into place when he was done.

"COLIN!" we all shouted. Zack took one look at it, then picked it up and continued eating.

"I think we should keep him, he's adorable." gushed Colin batting his eyes at him.