One Shot- Falling

TW: Falling from Dangerous heights, Blood, Injuries of various sizes (nothing bigger than a broken bone), Talks of Hospitals, Mentions of Needles/Fear of Needles.

Takes place a few months after chapter ten. Let's say four to five months. Janus is more comfortable with the Sanders and will now refer to them as his family/dad's out of ease but hasn't quite gotten to the point where he actually feels that these are his parents. But he is at the point where he's willing to throw hands for Logan and Patton. 

The whole household had decided to spend the day at the park. They'd gone to one with a hiking trail and had started their morning with a low-level trail. Then they'd had lunch and Janus read Virgil and the twins the next chapter in the book they'd started reading together. It was a tradition Janus had started with Virgil a few years ago and had continued with the twins once Patton and Logan had started fostering them.

When the twins had begun to get antsy and bored Janus had stopped reading and the four of them had gotten up to play tag. Eventually, though, Virgil had wanted to go play on the playground while the twins had wanted to fly kites. It was a very large park and Logan and Patton didn't want any of them getting lost or hurt so Patton had taken the twins while Logan and Janus went down to the playground with Virgil.

It had been going fine for the most part. Janus was reading his own book, the one he read without any of his brothers there to pester him with questions or to complain that he wasn't doing the voices right, and Logan was keeping an eye on Virgil while occasionally glancing down at his phone. Virgil had started playing with some of the other kids on the playground and the group of them had started playing some sort of game of pretend that Logan didn't have the imagination to wrap his mind around.

It had all gone downhill so quickly though that neither Janus nor Logan nor any of the other adults that were there supervising the other children were fast enough to stop it. One of the other parents had tried, yelling something too quickly for Logan to understand. But it had gotten his attention and he looked up just in time to see Virgil fall from the very top of the play structure.

Logan and Patton had always enjoyed this park due to such a large and inclusive playground. It meant that even the twins with their constant energy that had them switching from one activity to another quicker than you can say 'Crofters' would never get bored. It had too many slides to count, several ladders, numerous staircases, enough ramps to allow wheel chair bound people onto any level of the play structures, two sets of swings, three large tunnels, three different types of bridges, a set of monkey bars, and a mini zipline. The playground was split into four different 'themes' including pirate, castle, musical, and jungle. Each theme with its own little niche. 

Virgil was on the jungle side of the play structure, and had somehow managed to get on the roof of the tree house which was about twenty or so feet off the ground.

Logan felt his blood turn to ice as he watched Virgil trip on his own shoelaces and go tumbling off the treehouse. Multiple people screamed as everyone in the area watched it all happen in slow motion. Virgil fell past the 'bamboo' ladder that led up to the treehouse, past the tunnel shaped like a panther's mouth, and past the telescope aimed towards the hiking trails. He fell past two different slides, and the stairs shaped like giant jungle leaves that led up to them. Finally, he landed in the climbing nets made of rope that Virgil liked to call the 'Spider-web' and fell through each and every gap there was before he landed on the rubber ground with a thud.

"Virgil!" Logan heard himself yell as he ran to the little boy who was still slightly dazed as he lay on the ground, still as a stone, but awake. He was quick to crawl underneath the net, ignoring everything else going on around him in favor of Virgil. The little boy whimpered as Logan got closer, his body shaking. "Virgil, can you hear me? Can you move?"