Chapter 2

TWENTY YEARS LATER

Twenty years later, Violet Johnson stood under the bleachers at a Southside High School football game. The crowd was in a sour mood as the home team's fans streamed out of the stands mumbling about how bad the season was. Southside High School had lost their ninth straight game of the season. And this one they had been favored to win.

Violet ignored the chatter and spotted two elementary school kids chasing each other through the crowd wearing their Halloween costumes. One was Frankenstein's monster with silver bolts in his neck and green paint covering his face. The other was the Caped Adventurer with a black mask and sword.

"Someone's gonna die tonight, someone's gonna die!" they yelled as they ran past her.

Violet rolled her eyes and remembered the costume in her bag.

In the ladies' room under the yellow fluorescent lights, she changed into an old blue dress that used to be tight on her but now was loose. She also put on a pair of red devil horns she picked up at the dollar store. Then she went back outside where the crowd had begun to clear out as people pulled out of the parking lot.

Chip Harman, the guy who she had been in love with her whole life, and who was now her new boyfriend, came out of the locker room and walked straight for her on his crutches. He was tall, even hunched over, and had a strong jaw. He had dark hair and blue eyes, and had a classic look about him, like Gatsby in the novel she'd read in Sophomore English.

"Let me guess. You're a devil in a blue dress?" he asked.

"Yeah. It was a last-minute idea. What are you going as?"

"As a has-been high school football quarterback who just watched his team's season go down the tubes," he said, the wind whipping his thick hair.

Violet laughed and looked over at someone's dad walking by. He said, "We would've beat 'em, Chip, if you'd been quarterbacking for us tonight. We'll get 'em next year."

Chip shot a forced smile. He was graduating at the end of the year and wouldn't have another chance.

"Come on," Chip said to Violet. "I can't stand the pity party much longer. I see Doug's car over there."

Violet nodded and followed behind him, trying to control her dress that rippled in the wind like a giant sail. They both climbed into the backseat of the BMW, where Doug and his girlfriend, Pamela, waited for them. Pamela was dressed in a cheerleader uniform. It had thick black tire marks across the skirt and sweater. Fake blood came out of her mouth and ears. Doug wasn't in a costume.

"Hey, guys. Buckle up," Doug said, looking at them in the rearview mirror and then peeling out.

Violet's head snapped backward as she put on her seatbelt.

The windows were rolled down and the radio blasted. Chip moved closer to Violet and put his arm around her. Violet sank into him. His cologne was the scent of pine trees, and she thought it was the perfect smell for him.

"Aren't you two cute," Pamela said, turning around. "I'm gonna take a pic!" She snapped one with her cell phone. "Ya'll are so sweet. Tell me, Violet, are you ready for Krissy's big Halloween party? Her parents weren't even at home last year!"

Violet didn't want to answer, but Pamela kept staring at her with big eyes, waiting.

"I don't know if I'm ready. This is my first Krissy party," Violet said.

Violet had spent most of high school avoiding Krissy and couldn't believe she was headed to her house.

"Oh, don't worry, you'll love it. They are so much fun," Pamela said, turning back around. She pulled the rearview mirror to her side to draw more fake blood under her eyes with a tube of red lipstick. "And tonight will be fun, too, if you boys stop being so depressed about the game."