Chapter 3

"You all remember Violet," Chip said, shouting over the music.

"Hey, guys," Violet said, smiling and trying to look comfortable.

A few mumbled hello or nodded at her. But Krissy stepped right in front of Violet with a big, fake smile plastered on her face. She reminded Violet of the Devil.

"Hey, Violet. I'm glad you could make it! Cute idea for a costume."

"Thanks," Violet said. "You look great, too."

"Oh, thanks... I know. But I don't understand your costume. Tell me who you are. Are you like a thrift store model?" She then turned to the crowd around her. "You guys, thrifting is a big deal right now. It's so in."

"It totally is!" Pamela agreed because she had the brains of a parrot.

"No, this is just one of my old dresses. I'm the devil in a blue dress," Violet explained and then wondered why she bothered.

Krissy laughed and then stopped herself and changed to a fake tone of remorse. "Oh, sorry. I forgot you used to wear that dress like every day our Sophomore year. Don't worry, you can get rid of it after tonight. I've got some cute outfits that I don't even want anymore that you can have!"

Violet's throat went dry, and her eyes narrowed. She scanned the group. Nobody looked directly at her. Pamela was biting her bottom lip, trying not to laugh. Doug nudged her.

"Thanks..." Violet said. "Ya'll finish talking. I'm going outside. I can't hear myself think in here."

Violet turned around feeling like nothing had changed. No matter how good she looked, they would always treat her the same way. Like they were better than her. And maybe they were better, she thought. She started for the patio doors. Chip could find her later.

"Wait. Hang on," Chip said, grabbing her by the elbow before she could escape. "Ignore Krissy. We all have to most of the time. Krissy can't buy manners no matter how much money her daddy has."

Everyone laughed uncomfortably.

Violet stopped and smiled.

Krissy cocked her head and glared at Chip. Then she gave Violet a bashful smile.

"Okay, Violet, I'm sorry, okay?" she said. "Don't go. I was just kidding; you DON'T look like a thrift store model. Besides if you leave, it will ruin the party. I'll turn the music down, too, so you can hear yourself think."

Krissy looked at the disc jockey and motioned for him to lower the thumping music.

Chip put his arm around Violet and pulled her next to him. Violet liked it but still wanted to go out to the patio. Or anywhere else.

Krissy watched them and the look on her face was as if she smelled something rotten. Then she said, "It's good you didn't go outside by yourself anyway. It isn't really that safe out there," Krissy said, not having to shout anymore. "I heard there's some crazy stuff happening tonight. There are these people out there."

"Woooo," Doug said. "She's gonna tell us another crazy story."

"Yeah, how are you going to freak us out this year, Krissy?" Chip asked. He looked at Violet and said, "She does this every year."

Krissy looked annoyed. "This time it is for real." She moved to the center of the group and put her hands on her hips. "Do you all want to hear it or not?"

"Yes, just tell us," Chip sighed. "You want to, anyway."

"Okay, but ya'll don't laugh at me. I'm serious," she warned. "So, my dad has this friend who works at the police station."