Muddy footprints

The dark gloomy grey clouds were moving towards the west, and the sun was nowhere to be seen.

It had been raining from the day she had moved into the new house. The cold air ran through Layla's jet black hair and made her shiver because of the chill and crispy cold air.

There was a faint noise of a train on the tracks near her home. She would always spend a minute or two watching the train pass by. But a shiver stronger than the previous one went down her spine when she saw muddy footprints leading to her doorsteps. She was not expecting anyone, but the footprints seemed to stop right in front of her doorstep.

She went around the house slowly and carefully to see if there was someone creeping around.

There was no one and no further footprints.

She decided to go in and rest. As she opened the door and got in her cat, "Sims" came near her leg.

She started to rub herself to Layla's leg, meowing slowly but insistent on getting petted and fed. Being the cat mom, she was Layla, gave Sims what she wanted.

There was not a single house near hers until half a mile away. But this did not stop her from moving into the house because she enjoyed the solitude after a busy day in the bar she worked at in the town.

She would walk from the bar to her house enjoying the tall dark green trees and the chirping of the birds that resided in them.

In the morning after she moved in she noticed the muddy footprints of a person near the broken gate, they seemed pretty deep as if the person stood long enough in the mud to leave a pretty deep footprint.

She wondered if it's something she should worry about or to just forget. She would have forgotten it if only the muddy footprints had not been left again near the gate and also they seemed a step closer to the gate than the previous ones.

Now that was something which bothered her, the whole day, she spent what the footprints meant and also for two days straight. It even made her wonder if someone was messing with her or if the footprints were of someone who watches her or the house for most of the day.

Most of her day is spent serving in the bar and she returns in the sunset hour and when she is about to leave for work again in the early hours of the day as the sun had been in the sky for three hours since sunrise.

The footsteps just got close for the third day, they were a step ahead of the gate. So she started being worried, this time when she saw the footprints she decided to stay awake till she got to see what was the cause of the footprints.

It seemed as if the footprints would get closer as the days passed by and this was something which she was worried about.

As she got inside the house after her work, she fed her cat. She made herself creamy pasta and poured herself a glass of whiskey.

She took a seat near her windows facing the gate and her cat climbed onto her lap and started her nap.

The lights in the house were dimmed so she could watch outside the house. The curtains hanging from the top of the windows stayed completely closing the windows but she peaked through the corner of the curtain.

She made sure that she would not be visible from her seat. The pasta was completely finished as time passed. She took the whiskey filled glass and slipped on her woolen sweeter as the weather got colder into the dark night.

Leaning back in her chair, she slowly sipped on the whiskey .The gates creaked as the gulp of whiskey travelled down her throat slowly. She shifted, seeing a silhouette of a person near the gates but as always getting ahead of the place from where the previous footprints were found.