Why did I see it?

The rain was pouring outside when Lily entered the complex, closing the rusted door behind her.

She worked odd jobs till now, but currently, she was working as a counter girl in the book shop near her complex.

The money has been less, so she kept her expenses tight, spending on only the necessary things. That's how she had ended up in this dingy apartment complex.

The building was old and leaking water at certain places, but she knew that beggars couldn't be choosers.

She was about to press the lift button on the second floor but was stopped by the old women who were entering the lift in a hurry.

The women were her neighbors, and they started speaking of something about the others in the complex. Most of the time, she ignored them as she knew all they did was gossip, but this time, she heard the word murder a bead of sweat rolled off her forehead.

Because she heard about the murder that had taken place the previous night. A girl was murdered by getting hit on the head by a rock, by the wee morning hour of 4.30 am someone had seen the dead body and reported it to the police.

The woman now turned towards Lily and asked her if she had seen or heard anything, but her floor had arrived, so she quickly got off the lift and made her way towards her apartment.

The nightmare was real. It was not a lie. Maybe it would have been better if it was just a nightmare as she thought it was.

The police were now near the door of the girl who was found dead. There were those bright yellow police tapes all around the complex and in the backyard of the complex where the girl was found dead.

The police detective saw her and walked towards her. She asked Lily a few questions and told her to come to the police station for further investigation.

She was inside her apartment, and now her stomach was rumbling. She was sweaty and hungry as she had just returned from a run.

She showered and returned to her kitchen to make some toast. But her cat kept on meowing for her share of food, so she fed the cat before herself.

Just as she took a few bites from it, she remembered the previous night, the person in the hoodie, the rock falling on the girl, the blood splashing onto the ground.

The girl was struggling under the rock and her head was smashed. Lily threw up as she could not get the food down her throat.

The next day she went to the police and made her report saying that she was sleeping after taking sleeping pills so she could not see or hear anything.

The days went by as she was consumed with the horror of the night and the person she saw. As she was trying to eat her lunch in the afternoon, her doorbell rang. It was the tenant lady she was there with another man.

She slowly opened the door and greeted the lady with a small smile and then she looked up. Her eyes were met with the man's eyes. They were blue as the sky on a sunny day. She could not help but notice that they were sad and bizarrely worried.

The lady introduced her and the man and told her that he was going to be her new neighbour.

The man's name was Jack , he seemed to be around her age or maybe a few years old at max. He greeted her with a cheerful smile. He seemed to be an outgoing guy. But she was shy and quickly took her leave.

Lily began remembering the first day she met Naina, the girl who was now dead. The very next thought she had was if she was the next because she knew the killer had seen her that dreadful night.