The Origin of Connie

A couple took their sickly sleeping infant out to the forest. They were poor and couldn't afford the medicine that was needed to heal their child. Their baby girl was covered in a rash and had a horrible cough. They never put it together that it was the wool clothes that she was constantly in. Father put her down in the snow. He had to guide his crying wife away from their firstborn. He felt deep in his heart that it was better to put her out of her misery than to make her suffer.

A few hours passed and the baby woke up to cry from being cold. A group of hyenas came to sniff at the easy noisy meal. The Queen who had recently lost all her cubs looks at the sickly hairless child. She picked her up by her clothes and carried her farther into the woods. She dropped her into clay-like mud. The baby quiets down as the mud smooths her skin. The Queen picked her up to carry her to the cave her pack was in. She giggles as she curls up in the soft fur.

Years had passed and the five-year-old was more beast than human

Years had passed and the five-year-old was more beast than human. She gave the Nun who was gathering fruits a fright when she spotted the toddler. She was naked, covered in mud with blood dripping from her mouth and a dead bird in her hand. Seeing the grown adult, she did what the hyena did, she ran to get away. Once the Nun realized it was a wild child and not a demon, she ran after her. She caught her and carried her back to the church. She suffered a few scratch and bite marks from the toddler.

Years had passed since she was taken in by the Nuns

Years had passed since she was taken in by the Nuns. She had learned to speak their native tongue, read, write, and human etiquette. The oddest thing for her to wrap her head around was that the men were in charge. She likes the hyena hierarchy better. She never understood why the Nuns listened to the priest or the king when the things they said weren't best for the pack. Other males didn't challenge them even when they were stronger.

"Connie." Nun Beatrice called.

"Yes?" She responded to the name they gave her.

"Did you sneak out last night again?" She wondered why she missed breakfast.

"No." She shook her head.

"Oh, then why are your feet dirty? Tell me." She pointed at the bottom of her feet which were black.