Golden Ties

My lungs burned, desperate for a fresh breath of air. I was reluctant to give it.

One wrong move and blood would taint the ivory fabric, hugging my new curves. Not blue blood—golden blood.

It had been two weeks since I'd been tricked into marrying that manipulative cockroach of a royal prince and, on the same day, been kissed by Heliac's future king. Ironically, I hadn't seen any of them since.

"You're going to faint if you keep holding your breath like that."

I shifted my eyes to my left, where Piper looked at me with worried eyes.

The blue stripe in her hair had almost faded to its original blond color. I wondered if she planned to dye it golden for the wedding.

"What if I breathe and a needle pokes me?" I whispered, stiffening when the seamstress lifted my skirt to adjust the layers.

Piper chuckled. "You should really have more faith in Mara," she said, turning back to look in the mirror.

The ivory fabric slicked around her neck, leaving her defined shoulders free to breathe. Her bodice was laced with intricate, golden embroidery that appeared like vines sprouting from the golden lotus around her belly button.

The skirt flowed like a stormy ocean, eventually turning into a modest train resembling the waves on a peaceful beach.

Her sleeves were lying on the table beside them.

They weren't supposed to be attached to the dress. Instead, they would be fastened around her upper arm and turn into a delicate flow of airy fabric, stopping just below her fingertips.

It would appear like she had wings.

Every element, except fire, had been represented in that dress.

These dresses weren't meant to be finished and fitted for another week. I had no doubts that the designers had a plan for incorporating that element before then.

"It's not that I don't trust you, Mara," I said, carefully looking back to watch the woman's concentrated face. "I've just never liked needles."

Mara chuckled. "I have a daughter who can relate, Miss," she said, running a thread through the hem of the inner skirt.

Twenty layers of tulle already weighed on my sore hips. Unfortunately, I knew Mara was planning on adding at least twenty more before the end of the week.

The embroidery on my dress was almost the same as Piper's. The golden lotus in the middle and vines sprouting from its heart. However, instead of turning into leaves, my embroidery turned into windflowers.

I sighed when my eyes caught sight of the deep V-shaped neckline reaching past my chest down to the first leaf of the lotus. Mara had promised that the embroidery would cover most of the gap, but I felt so naked.

It seemed that this dress had been more dedicated to Tarkan as opposed to Piper's dress being dedicated to Heliac.

The thought made my stomach turn.

"—for the wedding."

I looked down. "Sorry, Mara. I didn't hear that first part."

Mara chuckled and took my lace-covered hand. "My daughter is not fond of needles either. It's a battle to sew her new clothes, but she's still a child. You, on the other hand, might need to become familiarized with the thought of these."

She brought the pointy end of her instrument closer to me.

I frowned uncomfortably. "Why?" I asked, clenching my hands into fists when she brought the thing to my sleeve. "Because I'm not a child? It's not uncommon for adults to have fears."