Unbreakable Heart

The bathroom was small but in good condition.

If I had taken a few more steps, I would've stepped directly into the shower cabin. If I turned right, I'd find the toilet and a washbasin. My right was nothing but a brick wall.

I bit my lip, reminding myself how soiled and itchy my body was. I needed this shower — almost as much as I'd needed one after my encounter with the Raeewh during the first trial.

Still pressing my back against the wooden door, I slid my hand along the lines and curls of its surface to the hole below the handle. I swallowed a gasp of worry when my fingers found the gap empty.

Tightening my jaw, I slowly turned my eyes downward to confirm my suspicions.

Cursed blood... Why wasn't there any key?

No. Now was not the time to panic. Caiden would never just stumble in here while I was in the shower. He wasn't that kind of man.

I took a deep breath, shaking the jitters from my skin, and forced my trembling fingers to grab my zipper. Two minutes later, the humid air from Caiden's shower clung to my exposed skin like morning dew.

My heart was riding on a high wave of anticipation, my mind still irrationally worried that the door would open at any minute.

It took every ounce of willpower I could muster to force myself to put down the towel and twist the facet. Bitter drops of water immediately left a scorching trail of icy fire down my chest, and a startled yelp broke through my lips before I could stop it.

The water heated a few seconds later, but the deed had been done.

My body stiffened when I heard Caiden's knuckles tap on the door. "Are you okay in there, Will?" he said, raising his voice.

I held my breath, standing as still as a predator blending with its surroundings to stalk its prey as if I hoped I could do the same. Then, when I was sure Caiden wouldn't enter, I exhaled.

"Y-yes," I stuttered, raising my voice to ensure he heard me. "The water was cold, but it's good now."

My cheeks heated when I looked down at my naked body and was reminded that only a puny door separated me from Caiden's eyes. I wondered if Caiden was as nervous as I felt — probably not.

I shook off the thoughts and concentrated on the water washing the layer of dirt and salt from my skin and the heated drops racing down the creases of my body.

My body finally relaxed for the first time since Tarkan had cornered me in the dressing room. I could've stayed here for ages and easily forgotten time, but I doubted the others would allow me that pleasure. I'd probably catch a cold if I waited too long either way.

So, I ripped myself out of the freeing daydream and grabbed the bottle of soap on the floor to scrub my hair thoroughly.

Ten minutes later, I felt rejuvenated and clean, as if another trip across the untamed ocean would be child's play — not that I intended to defy that raging beast again any time soon.

I turned off the water and grabbed the towel to pat my body dry before the cold air could slither down my sensitive body.

The air was still thick and almost unbreathable from the new steam. I couldn't wait to get out of here, but when I lowered my gaze to search for my clothes, my breath hitched.

I'd forgotten to bring my bag... All I had in here was a pile of dirty clothes and this drenched towel. Cursed blood...

Caiden was still out there, and I couldn't walk out of here naked. I'd dropped the bag right beside the entrance, so there was no possible way for me to reach it without exiting.