Fears in the Dark

Eos was standing in the doorway between the hall and this enchanted room, looking at us with glazed eyes and an uncertain smile as if she knew what was happening but refused to acknowledge it.

"Y-you're coming back, right?" she asked, stepping inside to close the door behind her. "It's just a quick trip beyond the castle walls with Willow and Piper, right? To introduce them to the subjects of the Golden Region before the weddings tomorrow."

My heart suddenly turned to stone in my chest.

Eos had changed into another person in these past weeks after the Crown Trials. Her gloomy expressions and hostile scowls had turned into careful smiles — sometimes even amused chuckles.

She'd used to hate this place and its walls. She'd felt alone and abandoned until Piper, and I came to care for her like sisters.

We were about to take that away from her. We were about to abandon her like the queen did — she'd be alone again. I couldn't believe how stupid and selfish it was of me to have forgotten that.

"How did you get in here, Eos?" Art whispered, his eyes wide and frozen.

I blinked when Art addressed the issue I'd failed to consider.

It shouldn't be possible for people to access this room while it was in use without permission. That was another reason this plan was so great. King Alaric and Tarkan couldn't burst in here while the room was tethered to Art's heart.

"T-the door was slightly ajar. I happened to hear voices when I passed, so I—"

"You can't be here, Eos," Caiden said, stepping toward her to guide her out again.

She elegantly spun out of his grip and backed away from him. "Then tell me," she said, steadfast. "Where are you going? And when will you be back?"

Caiden clenched his teeth so hard I could see his jaw-muscles bulge. Eos was his sister, but it would be dangerous for her and us if she knew about our mission.

"You're not coming back, are you?" she whispered, stepping back again when Caiden remained silent. Then she turned her head for her eyes to catch mine.

My heart jumped to my throat, my ears throbbing as my blood rushed past them.

"Will," she said, clenching her fists. "Tell me it's not true. Tell me that you're coming back."

"It's not that easy, Eos," I said, my body itching to abandon my position and wrap my arms around her. "We have to go."

Her fallen tear was like a blunt blade carving my aching heart with guilt.

"Then take me with you," Eos suddenly said, stepping toward us to join our group.

I swallowed the urge to gasp and suppressed the smile tugging my lips. Could we do that? Could we bring Eos?

She was still young, but she wasn't First-blood like Faye. She could manipulate light. Alia could too, but having two light manipulators may not be entirely dumb.

"It's too dangerous," Caiden said, grabbing Eos' arm before she could reach us. "We don't know what could be waiting for us out there, and too much of our plan is still uncertain. I will not drag you into this mess if it can be avoided."

"I'm not a kid anymore, Atlas!" Eos shouted, wrenching her arm out of Caiden's hands. "I'm an Iridis like you, and I'm not scared of the world outside this castle."

"It is not about being scared, Eos. You are still my little sister, and I cannot bring myself to risk your life like that. I will not allow it."

Eos' brow furrowed, and her lip curled back. "And where was that sense of brotherly protection all these years?" she shouted. "You have been so busy with your royal duties and satisfying Father's demands that you've hardly seen me all these years. None of you have seen me, and I refuse to return to that life. So I'm going with you, or I'll alert the entire castle of your escape."