Ancient Scripture

"Hold on," I said to myself, clinging to Caiden's suit. "Whatever happens, don't let him go."

"You can do this, Will," Caiden said, tightening his grip around my arms. "Don't think of the pain."

I swallowed an abrasive lump as if the sand of the deadliest desert was closing up my throat.

My heart couldn't find calmness. My thoughts were a jumble of unreadable passages that refused to find a moment of peace. Concentrating on a plausible destination was impossible, and the slightest pinch in my chest felt like a wave of pain waiting to happen.

"I can't," I whispered, opening my eyes to notice that the wall around us had grown more transparent.

The shadows outside now had similar faces. I couldn't distinguish their features yet, but it probably wouldn't be long before I could. I jumped when the sound of a pickax against ice ripped the air around my ears. They were getting through.

"Don't focus on them," Caiden said, grabbing my cheeks to force my eyes to meet his. "Focus on me and on the tunnels."

A tear fell from the corner of my eye as Caiden pulled my head to his chest. His heart was beating fast. He was as scared as me.

I squeezed my eyes shut, summoning every speck of courage I could muster.

Teleporting was our only way out. Caiden would be caught if I didn't do something.

I imagined the tunnels. The darkness, the humidity, and the echo of our whispers — like Caiden's heart against my ear.

Then I summoned my powers, the wind stirring around us before the aching warmth started spreading from my chest.

I curled my brow as fear pricked my skin, but I didn't stop. I'd gotten us into this mess, and it was my job to get us out of it. Caiden needed me.

Then, as I released the power I'd been collecting, the warmth exploded, the flame turning into a wrathful wildfire searing my nerves.

I screamed as the ice around us shattered before the world became dark. Less than a second later, a light penetrated the darkness, but no voices penetrated the silence.

Had Caiden let go?

I fell to my knees, my body overwhelmed by the strength it took to overcome the pain, when two hands grabbed my shoulders.

"Relax," Caiden said, pressing my body against his. "You got us out. We're alright."

A wave of relief washed over me, taking some of the throbbing pain with it. Caiden was still here. I hadn't failed.

Defying my aching eyes, I opened them to confirm that it wasn't my imagination playing tricks on me.

Caiden was there, unharmed and still alive.

Then my smile disappeared.

I hadn't taken us to the tunnels. Instead, we were in that dusty hall, the faded light from the cobwebs-covered roof lights making the staircase behind us shine as if it was made of tiny diamonds.

Tears stung my eyes as I squeezed the lapels of Caiden's tailcoat. I'd worked so hard to gain control of my powers, and with one cursed blink of an eye, that training had been in vain.

"Hey," Caiden said, directing my eyes to his again. "You did good, Will. I can get us the rest of the way to the others."

I gasped as my legs suddenly disappeared under me. "Just relax. I got you," Caiden said as he lifted me into his arms.

He hadn't carried me like this since the first time I teleported to knock out that soul-cursed monster of a man — if Knox had ever had a soul in the first place.