Prologue

Hello, everyone! Jack of Knaves here, coming at you with a Star Wars fanfiction of all things. Yeah, recently I've gotten hooked on Knights of the Old Republic, and after reading a few fanfics where Revan ended up getting sent to the era of the Prequel Trilogy/the Clone Wars, I thought I would try my own hand at the concept. That being said, this story is somewhat inspired by the fics "A New Kind of War" by Francisguy on fanfiction dot net, which in turn was inspired by "The Trouble With Crystals" by Sith Lord Darth Revan (yes, that's his/her actual username) also on fanfiction dot net.

Now, before we start, a few things to go over. First off, Revan in this fanfic is female, and followed the light path, although she is very much a Grey Jedi due to her belonging to neither the light nor the darkness. And yes, I am aware that Revan is canonically a man, but I decided to use the female version of Revan here simply for the sake of trying to give this story an identity of its own and to try to make it different from those that have done the "Revan ends up in the Prequel Trilogy/Clone Wars Era and gets involved in the war" concept before, as most of the ones I've read use the male Revan.

Oh, and before I forget, this bulk of this story starts a few months after the Mortis Arc of Clone Wars series, so smack in the middle of Season Three, as Ventress hasn't been betrayed... yet. But, thanks to Revan showing up, events from Season Three onwards are all over the place in the timeline. Some of those events happen as they do in canon, while others are altered in some way, and that's if I decide they even happen at all. In other words, take everything you know about Star Wars: The Clone Wars post-Mortis Arc and throw it out the window, we're goin' freestyle, baby!

Well, that's about all I wanted to cover, truth be told, as everything else dives into spoiler territory. Let's get started!

Prologue

Exegol-Three Years After The Jedi Civil War

As lightning flashed across the sky and struck the ground of a dark and desolate world, three figures made their way across the dark stone plateaus, surrounded by the crumbling ruins of what was once a mighty empire, reduced to nothing more than ancient tombs where long forgotten evils slept, never to be awakened lest ruin befall anyone foolish enough to do so, and crumbling monuments and statues that echoed silence, evil, and death.

One of these figures walking across the ground of the ominous world was a very unique protocol droid, heavily armed with a rocket launcher, a high-quality Echani blaster rifle, and a vibrosword attached to his back, two blaster pistols and an assortment of various grenades at its side. The droid was constructed out of a weathered red metal complete with intimidating red eyes. This droid's designation was HK-47, a highly advanced assassin droid with a great sense of humor and a seemingly unquenchable thirst for unadulterated violence, leading his mistress to question whether his red exterior was the result of rust or if it had been stained that way from blood.

The second figure was what seemed to be an unassuming utility droid, a stone gray T3 unit to be exact. However, T3-M4 was anything but unassuming, possessing a fierce dedication and loyalty to those he considered his friends.

The third figure, however, was clearly the most intriguing and intimidating of the three. Her slender frame clearly revealed her to be a female, clad in long dark hooded robes with a form fitting suit of gleaming black and silver armor constructed from unknown materials that had a number of technological additions built into it. Her face was concealed by black and red mask, and a pair of lightsaber hilts hanging at her side, gleaming in the setting sun. This woman had been called many things over the years. Savior. Conqueror. Hero. Villain. She was a lot of things, and yet she was nothing at all. This was Revan, ex-Lord of the Sith and hero of what had come to be known as the Jedi Civil War.

"Query: Mistress, what exactly are we doing here and when do I get to shoot something?" HK-47 asked, a hint of impatience in his vocabulator.

Reven chuckled as the trio reached what appeared to be a stone monolith of some kind. "We're not here looking for trouble, my old friend. If we were, we'd be looking for whatever was behind the destruction of Katarr... Malak and I weren't the only Sith Lords out there, you know, assuming this rumored Sith Triumvirate actually exists..." said Revan, her voice distorted by her mask. "We're here because of the visions I've been having recently," Revan continued as she held her gloved hand before the monolith.

"There's something here that the will of the Force seems to be guiding me towards out here in the Unknown Regions... although why Bastila didn't have the same vision given the Force Bond we share, I cannot say... perhaps it is a sign that our bond is growing weaker... or perhaps this is something meant for me alone... ah! There we are!" said Revan as she found the niche in the Force that allowed her to cause the monolith to slide open, causing what felt like a surge of the Force to emerge from the depths of the ancient passageway that was underneath.

A serious expression that was concealed by her mask crossed Revan's face. "Right. HK, T3, you two stay out here and cover my back. If something happens to me, get back to the Hawk and get out of here. Carth will be your master in that scenario. Make sure no harm comes to him or Dustil," said Revan as she took the two lightsabers from her belt and descended into the passage.

"Acknowledgement: affirmative, Mistress Revan," replied HK-47 as T3 watched Revan disappear and made a soft cooing noise.

Underground Passageway-A Short Time Later...

To her great surprise, Revan's journey through the underground caverns was nothing more than a simple walk down a long hallway... which probably meant that the real danger was waiting for her at the end of the passage.

Except, when Revan finally reached the end of the hallway, there was nothing there that she could see nor that her Force Senses could detect. In fact, the only thing that was in the cavern was a massive crystal that hovered in the air that seemed to be rapidly changing colors.

This is it, thought Revan as she approached the crystal. This crystal is the artifact that I saw in my vision...

As Revan drew closer to the crystal, she began to hear voices whispering as what seemed to be images of indistinct figures danced upon the crystal's surface.

"YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!"

"There's good in him..."

"I have waited a long time for this moment... my little green friend..."

"I don't like sand. It's rough, and coarse, and itchy... and it gets it everywhere."

As Revan drew closer to the crystal, she reached out her hand to touch the object. But, when her fingertips touched the surface of the crystal, the artifact began reacting violently, rapidly changing colors as the images within the crystal's surface began flashing rapidly as the whispers began to speak faster and overlap with one another, forcing Revan to clap her hands to her ears as she tried to retreat out of the cavern, only for a stray energy burst to collapse the exit to the room, trapping the former Sith Lord.

"Oh no!" cried Revan as the energy produced by the crystal reached its peak before it erupted in a tremendous explosion that consumed Revan as she screamed in a mixture of defiance and fear along with the entire underground passage, only for the explosion to abruptly fade, leaving the caverns restored as though the massive explosion had never happened. The crystal, meanwhile, was gone without a trace.

"Begun, the Clone War has..."

And that's a bingo! This prologue is most likely a bit on the short side and maybe a tad bit rushed, but I think I did okay. Anyway, if you liked what you saw here, or are interested in where this is going, be sure to vote, comment, and join us next time as Chancellor Palpatine gets an unexpected visitor in his office! See you then!