Chapter 1

Straws were bad for the environment, especially plastic ones. According to informed people, they would take years to decompose, and contribute a lot to pollution. Yet a straw was present in each of the two cups of hot chocolate quietly sipped by my twin brother and I.

It was not that us Diaz didn't care about nature or how wastes impacted our planet, but drinking chocolate through a straw was like a tradition for us. It was so much tastier that way, and we had a compost and a selective trash to compensate. Moreover, in the grocery shopping we did each week, we only took what was necessary. No soda with colored cans, chemical candies or biscuits with a packaging for each one...

Our mother had always taught us to carefully handle the little money we had ; they couldn't afford much, so they had to enjoy the little pleasures of life. Such as the chocolate chip cookies she always managed to get for us.

On the coffee table in front of us, crumbs of thoses cookies had yet to be cleaned. On the sofa of the small open living room, the boy was slumped against one of the armrests, enjoying the warmth of his drink. At the other end of the couch, my knees bent against my chest, I did the same, rolling my tongue around the chewed up straw.

"Did you finish unpacking all your books ?" Asked Miguel, picking up the conversation where we had left it before making the drinks.

A sigh escaped my lips before I responded with a small "No..." and with a look, he urged me to keep going. "I don't really know how to unpack them when they clearly won't fit on my shelves. Back in Riverside I had the top of my small dresser where I could put them, but now that I have an actual wardrobe, I'll need more storage for the books."

"Well, we'll have to see what we can find... I think I saw a wood dump not too far away. We could check it out, see if we find something in good condition ! Until then, just make a pile or something, Yaya insists we throw out all the cardboard boxes from the move, it's taking too much space."

"Alright, fine. I just don't like them on the floor." I mumbled for the sake of arguing.

Miguel rolled his eyes, amused. "Says the one who sleeps with her mattress on the ground, without an actual bed !"

In retaliation, I kicked him from across the sofa, only managing to steal a laugh from the boy... Which made him spill some of his beverage on his shirt. Miguel gets up, cursing as it's my turn to mock him.

"Seriously Danny ? It was the last of my white T-shirt that was actually white." Miguel whined.

"Strip it off drama queen, if you wash it right away, it shouldn't stain." I finished the rest of my hot coco in one sip, and headed to the kitchen. Over my shoulder, I added : "I'll only take a minute to unpack my stuff, we can take the cardboard outside now if you want ?"

"Sure."

I quickly rinsed my mug with low pressure water, then my brother's when he passed it to me. Obviously, as a self respecting sister, I flicked him some water and ran away before he could counter-attack.

My fluffy socks slid in the narrow corridor, careful not to wake my grand-mother, I continued until I passed the bathroom and my mother's room. Facing each other, the door to my brother's bedroom and the one leading to my own were already decorated with signs we handmade when we were children. On the left, one with seashells and dried corails all in blue and green tone, and upon the right door an autumn themed one, with red leaves and brown feathers. Each held a name with letters shaped with pearls and colored wool thread.

"Miguel" and "Daniella".

Fall had always been my favorite season, and Miguel loved the ocean with passion. But it was the very first time those signs didn't hang on the same door. The very first time me and Miguel would not be sharing a room. Those last days had been weird, without him sleeping on the other side of the room... This move was a new beginning. A new life I was so excited to dive into. But I had to admit...