Chapter 5

"Hey, do you wanna go shopping for halloween after school ?"

I raised my head to come face to face with Moon and Sam. I'd managed to avoid the later in math earlier without looking suspicious. And Wednesday I didn't have many classes with either of them. But today... Class had already started for a while, and we hadn't had the occasion to talk. I had mentally thanked Mr. Davenport for all the attention he demanded today.

When the girls sat next to me earlier, I had addressed them with a polite smile, and didn't say anything at all. But my reprieve had come to an end. My palms were sweaty, and my anxiety was skyrocketing...

Throwing a punch didn't phase me, but quarreling with someone using actual communication... Having to explain myself and be the one to start the altercation, it drove me on the edge. I couldn't handle those situations, and this time I was the one bringing up the problem ; they were happily talking about the school dance in two days, and I was gonna argue about bullying...

"We want to have a group costume with Yas and thought maybe you could also participate." Sam exitly proposed, clenching my heart at the prospect...

A dance with friends, sharing costumes, having fun... It all sounded so nice, I really wanted to say yes, but I couldn't shake away their laughter from yesterday, their fingers pointed at Eli.

"I'm... I'm not sure I'm comfortable going with you." I exhaled, my voice not as strong as I wished, but it would have to do.

"Oh..." Moon looked so confused, her big eyes blinking at the sudden rejection.

Sam's smile wavered, also not understanding my shift in attitude. "Wh-what ? Why is that ?"

"It's not that I don't want to become friends with you but..."

"Aren't we already friends though ?" Moon frowned.

I couldn't hold her stare, so I casted my eyes down, heart pounding in my chest. My nails were hurting the plame of my hands as I clenched my fists the way Sensei Lawrence had taught me.

"No, we're not." I told them. Forcing me to raise my head again, I continued, "Not because I don't like you both but... Because you keep making fun of the people I'm actually friends with. A-and I don't want to be okay with that."

This time Sam cocked her brows high on her forehead, and they exchanged a look I didn't understand.

"Danny, what are you talking about ?"

"You probably don't understand why it's such a big deal, but that's because you've never been laughed at by an entire room for who you are, how you look or for no reason at all. I have... And I can't deal with it."

I panicked. I panicked and then got up and left. Class was nearly over anyway, and if I stayed there, I would break down in front of everybody, and I just couldn't.

I didn't hear them call me, or the teacher, or anything for that matter. My breathing was ragged, fast, hashed. And it was getting worse with each step.

I knew I should be grounding myself ; I dealt with many panic attacks over the years, but I didn't find it in me. I rushed in the hallways and through the students getting out of class. I tried to slow by breathing, to stop the beating of my heart and the pounding in my head but focus was slipping away and fear was seeping in and soon I wouldn't be able to think and walk or see or find my way out of the school and out of my mind closing up around me and...

Miguel.

I saw Miguel waiting for me with Eli and Demetri in the line. I anchored myself on him.

"Hey, we were waiting for you !" Miguel shouted as he saw me approche.