Chapter 2

"We're going to learn Karate."

I raised my eyes away from my book as my brother bursted in my room. Under the utter seriousness of his statement, I could see the excitement in Miguel's eyes.

"I'm sorry, who's going to do what ?"

"You and me. We are going to learn Karate from the neighbor. His name is Johnny Lawrens." Miguel developed, flopping down on the bed next to me.

It was late in the afternoon, and instead of cleaning my room, I was procrastinating... Yet again.

"You mean the neighbor who told you there was no way he was going to teach you Karate no longer than this morning ? Even though you begged for it ?"

"Um yes. I have no idea what made him change his mind, but this is great news !" His hands shot up and his eyes went wide, expecting me to be impressed.

I... Was not. His sudden obsession with martial arts was still a surprise.

"I guess so... But I'm not sure it's a good idea, Miggy. Mom would never approve, and yeah, it could be cool, but are you sure you wanna get into Karate ?" My voice was low, interrogative, and it irritated him.

"A 100% sure. Don't you get it ? I'm going to get bullied at school by those guys ! If I don't know how to defend myself, it's going to be hell. You're not understanding... You're beautiful and smart, you could be friends with anyone. If you weren't my sister, you would never get picked on."

I snapped my book shut, a surge of anger pouring words out of my mouth.

"Bullshit. You're smarter, and we're twins ; we literally look like each other ! I'm a hundred times nerdier than you, and I suck at making friends !"

I hated it when he built this wall between us, acting like I was much better than him, when I clearly wasn't. I wasn't shy per se, but I rarely started up a conversation ; people tended to think I was annoying when I talked about things that mattered to me, because I rambled a lot without meaning to.

And yes, puberty had hit me like a truck, but If people were here for my physical appearance, then I wasn't sure I wanted them here at all.

He rolled his eyes at my vehemence.

"You know as well as I do that it doesn't change a thing. You would have been super popular in our old school if you didn't only hang out with me. And even then, you were still pretty south-after."

Popular my ass. I didn't want to be, didn't see the appeal of it. My brother was my best friend, and if that made me be a part of the "nerds", the "losers" ? Then so be it. He was the best person I knew, and it was their loss. And he was cute goddammit !

And I wasn't only saying that because I shared a lot of common features with him.

"Well that isn't about to change, so hold your breath. I don't want a friend stupied enough to not like you. Twins are a package deal."

"And that is why you're going to get bullied... Which is why you'll do Karate with me to learn how to defend yourself. Plus, it could be fun."

"Maybe it won't be so bad you know..." I sighed. This new start was beginning to look more and more dull. "But I'll give it a try, I'm not letting you get in this mess alone."

We smiled and fist bumped.

"Oh, this is going to be awesome !"

*.
.*
*.

This was not going to be awesome.

Oh no.

Not when our new teacher looked at me like he'd never seen a girl before.