PROLOGUE

ᴛʜᴇ ɪɴᴄɪᴅᴇɴᴛ.

MARCH 3RD, 2022

MARCH 3RD, 2022

MY BODY FELT WEAK.USELESS, as it sunk further below the surface of the water. I had no strength left in my body to even attempt to get back to the surface for a desperate and yet much needed breath of air. I didn't feel fear or anger as I watched the streams of blood dance in the reflection of the light that shone through the water. My blood. Is this what it felt like? Is this what it feels like to die?

I forgot how peaceful it used to be. I haven't felt this in so long. The relief. I was around eight years old the last time I felt this relief. My life was shit then too. West Philly was home for me, but it wasn't always kind. My parents were barely making ends meet as is, and my father couldn't keep a job. He was getting desperate. Dangerously desperate. All he did was drink, eat candy, and yell at my mom and me. Sometimes he hit her. I resented him with everything I had in my little body. Everything about him. The scar under his left eye. The way his fists clenched and swung at me. The way he always had a sickly sweet piece of candy in his mouth, eating it obnoxiously. Candy that sat in a bowl on the table that I could never touch. And when I did, he beat me.

He beat me so hard, I ended up in the hospital for days. When I did go home, all his stuff was gone and so was he. The only thing that was left that indicated that he ever existed in our lives was that stupid candy bowl on the table. I hated that bowl. So I felt no remorse when I picked it up and threw it in the trash.

I was determined to become nothing like him or any man my mother brought home after him. I wanted to be better. Basketball was my only chance to make everything in my life better. And it worked. I made it onto one of the top college basketball teams in the country. A full ride, a new house for my mom and sister. I'm finally out of Philly.

So why am I here? How did I get here?

The question echoed in my mind as I stared at the almost blinding white light above the surface, the water a soothing calm. The lack of air was finally getting to me. I tried to hold off as long as I could, refusing to breathe the air in, but when I felt as if my brain was on fire and about to explode into a million tiny pieces. I breathed in. I let the water in. I felt a welcomed relief as soon as I did, my brain no longer threatening to explode at any moment. All I could do was stare at the tranquil movement of the water above me.

The peace of the water was unexpectedly interrupted when something, no someone, dove into the water. They swam towards me quickly with a purpose, maybe they were finally here to take me away from such a doomed life. My eyes close and I feel myself finally letting go.

Just when I thought it was the end of me, I come to with quarts of water coming up from my throat and out my mouth. The first thing I noticed was the taste of cinnamon on my lips. With great difficulty, I open my eyes to what had to be the most beautiful angel. Her eyes dark and full of worry. Without thinking I raised my hand, and touched her cheek. Her skin was so soft.

Maybe I was dead. I thought as I stared at her in awe, trying to catch my bearings. I finally become aware of the ground beneath me and realize where I am. She saved me. Still in a daze, I grazed my thumb over her lips. Was this where the sweet taste came from?

I never had much of a taste for sweets. even as a kid, I never craved anything sweet. never longed for it. The reasoning was from a simple habit that my father used to have a long ago that was now tied to that bad memory. I instead got a taste for all things spice related, it brought a quick flavor that hurt so good and in the end brought a nice satisfaction. That soon became my way of life. everything had to bring me some sort of special zing right away. Ladies, money, shoes, hell I even got my cheesesteaks spicy. It was my way of life, quick satisfaction. If you didn't do it for me anymore, you were done. So why was I so enamored with this sweet taste attached to my lips, this cinnamon taste?

The question flew from my mind as my savior was snatched up from her place above me, ridding me of the warmth of her touch that I didn't realize I had. As best I could with the pain shooting throughout my body, I turn my head into the direction she was taken to just in time to see her body fall to the ground just feet away from me from being hit in the face harshly.

"No!" I groan out, a sudden rush of adrenaline causing me to turn my body over without thinking and making a unsuccessful crawl in her direction. My body falls to the ground just as a siren goes off. The blue and white flashes are the last thing I see before I become in unconscious again.

 The blue and white flashes are the last thing I see before I become in unconscious again

yay, prologue done! although short, i'm glad it's finally out of the way

expect the first chapter to come later this week. hope you enjoyed it!
also make sure to follow my tiktok account (@.honeysiren)  where i will be making frequent edits of this book and others!

make sure to vote and comment! thank you all !

-a.