Chapter 18

Everyone is in the dining room eating silently. Nel didn't have appetite for anything. Not even the chicken, the goddam chicken! It was fried with pepper and she couldn't stomach anything!

She was thinking of the last thing he told her. It ate away at her heart. She felt depressed. She started having soo many regrets; about falling for Kane, about wanting Xavier to grow out of his shell, about ever dating Luka. Again, she wished her problems could just vanish, never to return.

Xavier on the other hand was trying to understand himself, understand what Nel meant to him that he didn't  want to stay away from her. Was she this one person that they always talk about in comics. That guardian angel that just comes and goes? Was she a new friend or did he just feel best around her?

He looked over to her and she had an uneasy look which instantly made him uneasy. Did her mood now control his?

God, Xavier.

Get a grip on yourself.

"Are you alright? You're not eating your food." He said softly, snapping her line of thoughts. She looked at him then at his food. He hadn't eaten and he was asking her to eat? Why did he care so much?
Everyone looked at him like he was demented. Kane's was more of disgust for how much cared he showed her.

"Maybe you're just being the dumbass to ruin people's lives and their meals too." Kane snorts and rolled his eyes.

"Shut up, Kane. You can't just throw derogatory comments at someone just because you hate them." Nel hissed at him in spite to everyone's surprise. Even she was surprised. How was she able to speak to Kane like that?

Yolanda didn't like this kind if progress. She even preferred it when she was head over heels for Kane. Not that Kane was any good. It was just better than having her granddaughter side the enemy.

Nel's frustration got to the brink. She noisily got up from her chair and started to leave.

'If you wish to say anything, I'm right here.' Xavi said in her mind and she bit her lip. She wished she had. She wished she could tell him everything and get another hug. But she wouldn't. She wasn't weak.
She pursed her lips before briskly walking out of the room.

"What did you do to her that she bares her fangs at everyone for your sake?" Kane growled at Xavier and he cocked a brow.

Isn't that meant to be the other way around?

"You can see she's clearly acting on impulse, Lame. She's not under a spell..." Xavier trailed off.

... rather, I think I'm under her spell.

&*&     &*&      &*&

Nel rest her head on the cold counter top. The tears were overwhelming, brimming in her eyes. Why did life have to take a sudden turn like this? She was still young to see her grandmother suffer in another person's hands. Although she has started to care for Xavier more than her grandmother, there was still always something telling her to help him and that he needed her.

Cut me some slack, Earth.

I'm not fit to be some caretaker.

"I shouldn't have hugged you like that earlier. It let out many emotions you've since kept at bay. I'm sorry." Xavier came out of the dining room some minuites after Nel.
Kane became really overbearing that he stormed out silently. So, it turned out that both of them didn't eat at all. So much for cooling the food together.

Nel sniffed and turned around. She swung her arms round his torso and let her tears fell freely.
This hug felt better than the first mostly because it didn't feel awkward.
She remembered the hug Kane gave her once. All she felt then was joy overshadowing confusion. In this one she felt comfort, security, assurance that all her pain will go away and she wouldn't have to cry anymore.
She then noticed the intoxicating scent on fresh lilies on him and she didn't want to pull away.