Scones and Scrolls

"Home is behind, the world ahead,

and there are many paths to tread

through shadows to the edge of night,

until the stars are all alight."-J.R.R. Tolkien

Prologue:

The sparse torchlight cast long shadows down the hall, making her shiver.

She imagined sinister faces, amongst the darkened corners.

Her steps felt heavy, and the weight around her neck seemed to grow, the harsh whispers making her head throb painfully.

She wanted to turn around, to return to her bed, and hide beneath the covers, like she had done as a faunt whenever a storm had gotten too loud, the thunder making her jump in fear.

She wanted to banish the nightmares away, thrust the images from her mind, refuse to accept what was happening.

But she knew that it could not be done.

She could not ignore this any longer. She could not deny the truth. If she did...

Aule if she ignored this evil any longer, how might it hurt those she loved?

No.

Thorin's face appeared in her mind's eye. The frustration he felt managing the mountain, the discord with the other delegates concerning HER presence at his side, the reconstruction, settling dealings with the elves, and Bard's men.

She was no use here. Lyla tended to cause more ire than ease at the moment.

No, she had something else to do.

The weight around her neck seemed to intensify, growing in strength and setting her heart ill at ease.

Lyla shook her head again and silently edged towards Thorin's bedchamber, careful to only open the door wide enough to allow her access.

She didn't want to wake him.

Like the burglar she had claimed to be all those months ago, the hobbit crept towards the bed and reached with hesitant fingers towards the table.

She paused though, and watched the steady rise and fall of Thorin's chest. His back was turned to her, the dark tendrils of hair splayed over his shoulder and cascading down to the pillow. Lyla smiled, a soft, pained smile, imagining the worry lines the dwarf king carried finally eased with sleep's gentle embrace.

The hobbit had the sinking feeling that this would be the last time she might ever see her dwarf and she relished the moment, committing every detail to memory.

Then, with deft movements, Lyla snatched the trinket from the side of the bed and replaced it with one of her own.

Something, she was certain Thorin would appreciate.

And then, as silent as she was able, Lyla Baggins slipped from Thorin's room and made towards the seldom used pathway, hidden in a small alcove down from the king's chambers, and to the treasury and the tunnel that would

lead to the fresh air and the night sky.

Thror's ring was clasped firmly in her palm as the ring of power hummed with a dark energy around her neck.

"I'm sorry Thorin" she murmured softly in the darkness, "so very sorry."

Chapter 1:

There was a distinct chill in the air as Gandalf reached the small hill that overlooked Minis Tirith. The white walls of the city loomed high, glittering a brilliant white in contrast the grey clouds that hung low in the sky.