Discussions

"Home is behind, the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread

through shadows to the edge of night,

until the stars are all alight."-J.R.R. Tolkien

Chapter 8:

The elf must have sensed Lyla's unease after her interlude with the mirror, for she beckoned the hobbit to her private chambers.

"We have much yet to discuss, my dear little one," She had murmured softly, taking Lyla's hand gently and leading her up the staircase.

And now, they were seated before a warm fire, surrounded by the delicate draping of gossamer material and the intricate, interlacing branches of the beautifully carved wood that surrounded them, tucking them away from the open and any prying eyes and ears.

Lyla sat, ramrod straight amongst the pillows, fearing she might smatter dirt upon them, her nerves fraying about the edges as her mind whirled with thoughts, plans.

And fears.

"It began with the forging of the great rings," Galadriel remarked, "Three were given to the elves for we were wisest above all others."

The elf queen extend her left hand forward and Lyla peered at the glistening and sparkling light that emanated from Galadriel's hand. A brilliant jewel, as bright and clear as starlight sat nestled in the confines of a white band, soft tendrils of gold wrapping around the jewel in a protective embrace.

"This is Nenya, the ring of Adamant and I am its keeper. The Lord Elrond holds another of the great rings."

Galadriel's gaze narrowed to the two rings about Lyla's neck.

"You know the power that a ring can hold. And you know of the lonely path that you will travel. If given the chance, those rings will destroy all, all you hold dear. That is why you took the ring of Durin, is it not?"

Lyla narrowed her eyes in return, "You knew," she murmured, "You knew that I would find that ring in Goblin Town, and that I would take Thor-the other as well?"

Galadriel's gaze looked pained, as she nodded once in affirmation.

Lyla felt the wind escape from her, "You knew in Rivendell and you did not tell me? Why?"

"No, Lyla Baggins, I knew only a shadow of what was to befall you while in Rivendell," The elf remarked softly, her hands folding together in her lap, "It has only been in recent weeks that I've gained a truer understanding of your fate. I would have explained in Rivendell had I the information. Even had I that information though, it would not have been wise to give it to you at the time."

Lyla balked at Galadriel's confession, her eyes widening as she regarded the elf before her. "Why? What good would keeping that information from me have done? If there really is so much danger, so much to fear, why would you not have told me?"

Galadriel fixed a firm gaze on the hobbit, her features stilling into an unreadable mask.

"If you had gained that information Lyla Baggins," Galadriel's voice was low, inquisitive, "Would you have still taken the ring? Would have had the strength to pick it up, knowing that your road would be perilous, knowing that you might not return?"

Lyla opened her mouth to remark, but found her words had died in her throat. Softly she pressed her lips together and stared at the elf queen who looked unsurprised by Lyla's silence.

"There is great risk that comes with knowledge," Galadriel murmured thoughtfully, "If one has too much given them, it can alter too much, destroy too many lives." She sent a soft smile to Lyla, "This is your task, and yours alone. Your actions may rule the fate of many in this world."