A Compensation

Home is behind, the world ahead,

And there are many paths to tread

Through shadows to the edge of night,

Until the stars are all alight.-J.R.R. Tolkien

"You cannot do this!"

Fili was indignant, spluttering and fuming as he straightened his back, standing as tall as he was able against the massive form of Treebeard.

He would not be cowed.

"They are our kin!" He barked heatedly, "We cannot just forsake them!"

"I am sorry little dwarf master," Treebeard's gravelly voice was low but authoritative, "But this is not our fight. We Ents cannot hold back the storm. We must weather such things as we always have done."

"How can that possible be your decision!" Fili's voice raised in fury, "You cannot simply give up! Our friends, our family are out there!"

"This is not our war, little dwarfling."

"No!"

It was Kili's turn to protest, stepping forward so that he was side by side with his brother.

"That cannot be! Aren't...aren't you part of this world? Doesn't that matter to you at all? You must help...please?"

"This war," Treebeard remarked lowly, fixing his gaze on Fili first before shifting towards Kili, "Is not one that we belong to. And you should be seeking safety. Not war."

Fili had heard enough at this point. Shaking his head in anger, he averted his gaze, to the ground, steeling his emotions before shooting a hard look towards the Ent before.

"You're wrong," He spat, "I belong with my uncle, with my kin. I belong in this fight. Others are out there, defending this land, and all these peoples and creatures, and what are we to do? Cower? Hide away in the forest while others give up everything for all of Middle Earth?"

Fili turned swiftly away from the congregation of Ents, Kili hot on his heels, and began his long march into the woods. He'd scale a tree as soon as he was a good distance away from Treebeard and could control his flaring temper.

He'd never forgive them for this. He'd never forget this injustice.

How dare that selfish, ignorant—

The young dwarf prince let out a grunt of surprise as he was lifted off his feet, a familiar pinch of bark against his neck and the warm breath of the Ent ruffling his hair and tickling his ears.

Kili let out a similar disgruntled sigh as he too was hoisted into the air and onto the familiar perch of Treebeard's shoulder.

"Now, not so hasty, master dwarf," Treebeard retorted good-naturedly, which made Fili's anger boil. "Gandalf instructed me to keep you safe and so safe is where I'll be keeping you. I am to take you home, master dwarf. That is our path. Your part in this tale is over."

Fili perked slightly at Treebeard's words.

They were going home. That could do them some good. The young dwarf prince knew that the mountain was no less safe than the rest of the lands of Middle Earth.

Perhaps there was something they—

"But home won't be any safer than anywhere else," Kili piped in. Fili inwardly cringed before cuffing his brother in the ear.

"Ow!" Kili growled, leaning away from his brother, averting his eyes away from Fili's scowl. "All I meant was that—"

He earned another cuff to the ear.