Deceptions and Fire

"Home is behind, the world ahead,

and there are many paths to tread

through shadows to the edge of night,

until the stars are all alight."-J.R.R. Tolkien

Chapter 2:

"How are we to do it?" the soft, gravelly voice hummed in the darkness, "How are we to accomplish this task?"

"Distract him," the gruff dwarf remarked, the soft 'ting' of metal echoed in the silent room, "Tear his focus away."

"Isolate him."

*****

There was a distinct, biting chill that nipped at Thorin's nose and ears, even this far within the mountain. It wasn't wholly unexpected, with winter at its peak and the snow falling unrelentingly throughout the night and renovations still underway to restore the mountain. And, though the draft certainly didn't bother HIM, Thorin's thoughts were focused on Lyla's lithe form. He noted the distinct need for some proper clothing for the hobbit. Her long green tunic (a gift from the elves) mended and tailored though it was (by Lyla's deft needlework no less) still hung rather loosely on the hobbit's frame. She'd rolled the sleeves up and belted the fabric at the waist so that it didn't hang quite so long, but without a proper coat, or shoes for that matter, Thorin wondered how the hobbit could ward off creeping winter winds.

He cursed Lyla's knack for finding trouble, even with something as simple as proper attire. He doubted that they'd find any suitable clothing for her with most of the mountain still in need of exploration and excavation. A great majority of the apartments and corridors had acquired several feet of rubble thanks to Smaug. And with clothing and other supplies in short demand, it made it hard to locate something suitable for Lyla to wear.

Not that she was complaining of course. When Thorin had mentioned his concerns, the hobbit merely waved the dwarf king off with nary so much as a smirk.

And her wandering about the halls after he'd asked her not to, especially considering she's been approached by that...

Boy.

Thorin still seethed about that moment, when the tyrant's son had plucked up the courage to approach his hobbit. And when she was alone no less! In the dark of the early morning, wandering by herself.

If he had been anyone else...

But he'd not seen hide nor hair of the lad these last few weeks since he'd shooed the cowing pup away from Lyla, his glare brooking no argument from the bumbling youngster.

It made him more suspicious and wary.

But Lyla would not be swayed in her wanderings, much to Thorin's consternation. He'd discovered her, more than once, down in the kitchens alone baking.

'I am not a faunt to be coddled thank you,' she'd replied with a firm look, her lips pulled into a frown, eyes challenging, when he'd broached the subject.

And if Thorin had learned nothing it was that Lyla Baggins was a stubborn, foolhardy little creature.

He certainly had his work cut out for him. He'd resorted to having several members shadowing her footsteps though she was a sneaky little thing.

It didn't help, either, that he had yet to approach the subject as to WHY he preferred her to stay near one of the members of the company, particularly in regards to her encounter with the young dwarf. She'd asked about it a few times but had easily been appeased by Thorin's pleas for more time.