| s i x t e e n |

jeno took a spoonful of ice cream, licking it clean before pointing it at you, summarizing to you what you had told him, "so you're, like, friends with benefits?"

you didn't really like that term. he wasn't completely wrong about it, he wasn't completely right either. every time you thought about the night you kissed, you couldn't help but beat yourself up about it. it wasn't because you didn't enjoy, no, you enjoyed it, you really did! the way you handled it though.. well, you wished you had done it a bit differently to say the very least.

the kiss was warm, tasted mildly like the coffee he had been drinking. you weren't sure how long the two of you had been kissing, it felt like a while, and when he finally pulled away from it, you moved forward instinctively, wanting to feel his lips against yours again. he stopped you however, a finger against your lips, a stupid smirk on his stupid face, "i thought we agreed on one kiss only, and then you'd tell me how you felt."

you scrunched up your nose at his words, feeling hot with embarrassment, and he let out a low chuckle, "ah, there it was, the cute angry scrunch."

at his words you slapped his shoulders, hating how the sound of his laugh made your chest tingle, and how the narrow space between the two of you made you feel dizzy. you looked away from him, one of his hands still resting on your cheek, before you grumbled out the words, "wow, you're really teasing me right now, there is no winning with you."

jaemin didn't respond to that, removing his hands from your face to grab your hands instead, a careful smile replacing the smirk, "well, do you have an answer?"

this was definitely a rare sight. he had dropped the joking side completely, and he actually looked quite nervous. na jaemin looked nervous. hah! who would've thought that was possible? even jaemin himself didn't recall a moment where he had been more nervous than now. sure you just kissed, and sure you seemed to enjoy it, but what if you didn't actually have the same feelings he had?

"well, maybe i could give you an answer after a few more kisses." the nervousness eased out, his before slightly tense shoulders dropping as he leaned in again, a chuckle leaving him. as his lips hovered over yours, he whispered. "what the princess wants, the princess gets."

so what was the problem with the way you had handled it? you never gave him an answer, resulting in this weird relationship between the two of you where nothing much had changed apart from the many kisses the two of you shared. you loved the kisses, but you weren't dating, you weren't boyfriend and girlfriend. you were just.. roommates who kissed. you hated the term friends with benefits, but even that would probably be better than what you were right now.

"i mean, without the dick, yes." you responded to jeno with a small sigh, fiddling with the small spoon. jeno was about to laugh, you could see that, but he managed to stop himself before it actually came out, and he cleared his throat, "not even with dick?"

you rolled your eyes, leaning over to slap his hand lightly, "shush, i'm working on it."

"so you're just kissing and that's it?" the way jeno said that made you want to bang your head against the table, because yes! that was it! you kissed whenever you saw each other, but he didn't call you cute and sappy nicknames, he wasn't doing anything remotely romantic towards you, you were not even close to doing anything sexual, hell, you didn't even cuddle! using the spoon you mixed your ice cream, mumbling as you did so, "we don't really have a label on it, and now that i think about it, it's kinda annoying."

"just tell him you want to put a label on it." jeno shrugged, and you slammed your hand that wasn't mixing your ice cream down onto the table, watching your friend as he flinched in his seat at the sudden noise. you gestured to him, "you actually don't sound surprised that this happened, like at all."

"of course i'm not surprised. i've been trying to get this to happen, because i saw how hopelessly in love he was with you in high school." you weren't sure if you should feel betrayed that jeno had known from the beginning and hadn't told you or if you should feel thankful. deciding to feel neither, you focused on the problem at hand, "so you suggest just talking to him?" 

jeno nodded. then you nodded. then there was silence for a few seconds before you changed the topic.

"how is it between you and renjun?" you asked, wanting to actually hear about his life instead of only venting about your own. jeno hummed, "it's going great actually! he's gonna travel abroad for a couple of months, so i'll be staying at the apartment alone, but it's alright."

once again you nodded, finally finding it relevant to address the purple bruise that he obviously had tried to hide behind his black turtleneck. carefully you asked, ".. and how's it going with your girlfriend?"

he froze comically at your words before shaking his head as if you had just asked the dumbest question on planet earth, "what are you talking about, y/n?"

"you have a hickey." you whispered loudly to him, and his hand flew to his neck, covering the bruise as he glared at you. you only grinned back at him. jeno scoffed, rolling his eyes, "and i could've gotten it from a one night stand."

"except i know you, you wouldn't just let anyone do that." you raised your eyebrows at him. jeno was not a person who was interested in one night stands. he wasn't when you lived together at least, and you doubted he had changed that much over the months he had lived with renjun. jeno dropped the hand that was covering the hickey at your words, almost looking defeated, ".. right, you're right. it's going well, it really is. i was going to tell you, i swear, but it's still pretty new to me and i don't know, i've just been enjoying it privately-"

you rolled your eyes, cutting him off, "yeah, yeah, whatever, it's alright, it's cute."

you weren't extremely hurt by it, you hadn't been telling him everything that had happened in your life either, so you really couldn't get mad.

jeno clicked his tongue at your words, giving you a light kick to the leg under the table, "get some hickey's yourself before calling it cute."

"rude."