Different Now

━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━

━━━━━ ▣ ━━━━━

The loud music from next door was keeping Aaliyah from falling asleep. It was unlucky for her to live on a street full of fraternities and sororities and choose not to go to their usual Friday night kick back party. This time, the sorority next door was hosting another party that would go until sunrise. She decided to stay in her room because the last time she attended one of their parties, she woke up half-naked floating over an air mattress in their pool.

It would be fine to stay inside since it was rare to have her own sorority empty and the house all for herself. But her whole programmed movie night went down the drain all thanks to the incredibly loud music from the campus building next door. The party started at a good 12pm and it's been going ever since then showing no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

Aaliyah couldn’t hear the sound of her own television. She tried reading one of her Harry Potter books but got distracted by the sound outside. Complaining would accomplish nothing as she knew the night would go like this, but she made her final choice. So after running out of ideas to distract herself, she decided it was best to lie in the dark and close her eyes in the hopes to get some sleep. What an unsuccessful idea. When she was almost giving up on trying to sleep, her phone rang gaining her undivided attention.

“Yo? You up right now?” The sound of her best friend’s voice came through the phone, muffed by the loud disco music and shouting of multiple campus students.

“Well duh, or else I wouldn’t be talking to you right now, now would I?”

“Aye, you ain't have to say all that, I'm downstairs. You mind opening the door for me?”

“Hmm...let me think about it.”

"Please!" You whined. "I gotta fucking pee, Liyah." Of course you didn't have to actually use the restroom, you just said that so she'd be more tempted to let you in.

"Fine!" She states, smacking her lips together.

She slipped out of bed to put on her comfortable slippers and her robe to run downstairs and open the front door for her friend. To say she wasn’t expecting you to pop on her door was a lie, but she didn’t expect it to be so early. You would normally call her right before dawn or slip in with one of her sorority sisters to have a place to crash whenever you were feeling too drunk or too tired to go home. Or when the girls were there with you at the parties, you would reach your limit by three in the morning and she would take you home.

“I’m so damn bored.” You leaned against the door frame and groaned. “That party was kinda wack. Not even alcohol helped it get better.” You hiccup, struggling to keep yourself upright, hands holding onto her doorknob. The party may not have been your idea of fun but that's not to say you didn't get absolutely drunk beyond comprehension.

“Wack you say? It couldn't been that bad, you look like shit.” She giggled, making no move to help you with your balance as you sway back and forth. Your shirt was wrinkled, your hair was messy, there was some lipstick stain on your neck and you had your usual drunken expression on your face. It never failed to make the girl laugh.