My Blood

"what'd you just say?" i must've heard him wrong.

jay sucked his teeth. "man, do you wanna hang tonight or nah?"

i blinked at him slowly. jay has never willingly wanted to hang out with me. as far as i know, jay hates me. i tilted my head. "sure?"

jay nodded his head. "aight, cool. be here at seven." jay grabbed a juice from the fridge and left. he wasn't even here ten minutes.

"what was up with that?" i turned to my father.

"i just texted him and told him you were here. maybe he's having a change in heart? it's never too late, you know."

maybe dad's right. but maybe jay is up to something. jay has literally never wanted anything to do with me. but i wasn't going to bother daddy about it. he looked happy that his kids were getting along. i didn't want to ruin it for him. "yeah, you're probably right daddy."

i walked towards the tv in the living room, and bent over to get the card in the stand underneath. i picked up the cards and said, "who wants to play pity pat?"

"chile, just let me get over there." grandma got up and slowly walked over to the dinner table. grandpa walked out from the back room.

"did i just hear pity pat? count me in."

i laughed and started shuffling the cards. it feels good to be here with them.

___________________________

"girl, who taught you how to cook? cause you put your foot in this stuff right here. what's it called again?" grandpa took another bite from his fork. it was quiet except for the sounds of forks hitting the plates.

"it's called chicken alfredo, grandpa." he's over there slurping up his noodles like its the last supper. grandpa must really enjoy it. i was done with my food, and i got up to wash my plate but there was a knock on the door. i left the plate in the sink and walked to the door. it was jay.

"hey, jay. you want something to eat?"

he shook his head. he looked... nervous?

"nah, i'm good. you ready to go?"

i turned around to look at the cable box. it was seven on the dot. i hadn't even noticed. i was having so much fun.

"um, yeah. just let me wash the dishes." i turned around to go back to the kitchen but my father spoke up.

"i got the dishes, chocolate. you two go have fun."

i walked over to him and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "okay, daddy. i love you. see you tomorrow."

i walked to grandma and grandpa and gave them kisses too. "i love y'all too."

"see you, baby!"

"grandma will see you tomorrow, sugar."

i grabbed my coat and walked out the door, jay walking behind me. while i was putting my coat on, i got a headache and my head started to feel a bit warm. jay told me we had to get an uber to wherever we were going, so we waited in the apartment lobby.