My Friends are Stolen

January 22, 2022Saturday

R O X A N N E
pov

I got to the Sandlot to see the boys just sitting around and doing nothing. How long did it take to get here? I walk over and they don't even turn their heads.

"Hey! Are we going to play ball or what?" My eyes scan them and see that they have no emotion. Their eyes are dead, not a single thought behind them.

"Roxs... we don't feel like playing ball," Squints replied with.

"Yeah-yeah we don't feel like playing ball," Yeah-yeah adds on.

"What!? You guys would die if you couldn't play ball! What's going on?"

The boys look at each other and then huddle up and start whispering. What the heck? Something is going on, and I wasn't liking it. Usually, the group never kept secrets from each other, and when we did it never was good. I got impatient and cleared my throat trying to signal to them that I was getting annoyed. All of them turned their heads back and I gave them an annoyed look.

Squints walked to me and cleared his throat.

"Roxs the group-"

"By group you mean the boys, I wasn't a part of that little huddle you guys made." I raise my eyebrows at Squints.

"Ok. Us boys have concluded that we're just plain tired. Not tired of baseball! But we want to find someone new to be on the team!"

"ARE YOU TRYING TO REPLACE ME!?" I yell at Squints with my mouth open and eyes wide. I can't believe this. First I met Benny and now the boys are trying to kick me off the team! It's total BS!

"W-What no! We don't want to replace you! Right guys?" Squints look at the boys his eyes filled with fear. All the boys look at me and then back at Squints and then nod their heads in agreement.

"See we don't want to replace you Roxs! We just want someone new in the group!"

Is someone new?  Who else could we find that plays ball? Options were pretty limited right now.

"Ok... but who?" I ask. Ham steps forward and turns back to the boys giving them a thumbs up. What is he doing?

"What about the kid that moved beside you? Does he play ball..?" Ham asks.

No way. No freaking way! They want to have that boy join the group!? WHAT! I wanted to yell at them, to tell that to find someone else. But I just couldn't. I mean I could give the kid another chance, and maybe the boys would even like him. I was stumped.

Taking a time to think I made my decision.

"I think he does... I'm not sure but I did see him wearing an LA Dodgers cap." I took a deep breath and played with my thumbs waiting for a response.

"Great! We should go find him and play a game!" Ham cheered.

Oh great.

"He's probably busy guys, I mean the kid just got here!" I told them I hope that they would change their minds about getting him to come to the Sandlot.