I Help Benny Rodriguez

January 22, 2022Saturday

R O X A N N E
pov

I walked behind the boys and watched as they all laughed at talked to Benny. They like him, huh? It's not that I have anything against the boy, he's just not that likeable. Or at least that's what I think. I catch up to them and walk beside Smalls who's focused on Benny. I watch Small's eyes widen as Benny acts something out with his hands. I'm trying to figure out what was so surprising, and then the worst thing that could happen at the moment comes. I trip. Over nothing!

I stumble forward and almost fall until I feel a pair of hands grab me.

"Shit," I whisper to myself. I stand up straight and turn to see who grabbed me. I see the familiar pair of eyes. Benny. I stare at him too long I believe, because he turns a bit pink.

"Thanks. For catching me y'know."

He clears his throat, "Oh yeah, no problem." And he walks away. Gee what's he so scared of?

A couple of minutes pass of walking. The boys are talking about baseball and getting to know Benny more. I listen from here and there in their conversation.

"So where did you move from?" Smalls asks.

"Uh, Florida," Benny responds, he's looking at all the houses and not paying attention to the question.

"Got any pets?"

"No."

"Siblings?"

"No."

"Girlfriend?"

"No," Benny stops walking and looks at the Smalls, "I mean yes, we'll no. Yes but no. It's complicated." He adds frantically. I look at Benny in question, his eyes met mine again. Those beautiful hazel eyes.

"Who's the girl?" I ask. Shit, that's so dumb. It's already too late though, Benny's heard the question.

"Her name is Gwen." He tells me. His eyes shine a bit when he says her name.

"What does she look like?" I question him.

He reaches into his back pocket and pulls out his phone. He hands me and I see the picture of a girl, she has pale skin, messy brown hair, some freckles, and pink lips. She's pretty.

"She's pretty," I tell him. I can't lie she is pretty.

"Yeah I know," He says, a slight smile appearing on his face.

"So what's she doing with a guy like you then?" I add sarcastically.

He looks at me surprised, his smile letting out a small laugh, "A bit harsh?"

"No I don't think so, I don't like lying," I respond with.

I can hear the boys erupt in laughter and saying remarks like, "Nice going Roxs!" Or, "woah Benny you gonna let that slide!"

I small smile appears on my face. Maybe Benny isn't so bad. I mean now I have another boy to mess with. The group continues to walk to Benny's house. Many conversations happening around the group.

"Do you have any hobbies?" I look at Benny, his eyes are facing forwards but it feels like he's paying attention to me.

"Yeah. I like baseball, reading, and watching movies; especially romcoms. Shopping and I'm learning guitar. You?"

Benny gives a small smile, "I like baseball and t.v shows."

"What t.v shows?"

"Uh, Breaking Bad, Brooklyn 99, Money Heist, I guess just the normal ones."

"So like no romcoms...?"

"Nah. I don't watch them."

"Huh," He's never watched a rom-com? Must be sad. "You should watch them. I can give you some recommendations."

Benny looks at me and gives a slight head tilt. "Oh yeah? What recommendations?"

I smile, "10 Things I Hate About You, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Just like Heaven, 13 going on 30, She's All That, 27 Dresses, The Proposal, Clueless, Pretty Women, oh and Never Been-"

"Alright, I think you've told me enough!" Benny says in a playful tone, cutting me off.

"Ha, alright."

We continue to walk until we reach the familiar beige-looking house. The group stops and we look at Benny waiting for him to do something. It seems that he's not quite sure of what to do now.

"Uh, ok, so this is my house and we haven't gotten everything set yet but you guys can come in," Benny explains to us.

"Let's rock and roll then!" Bertram states and runs to the door with the boys tagging along. I slowly wake to the door while looking around the front of the house. It was simple and nice with a small tree on the right of the door. I turn around to see Benny walking behind me. I regret this so much. As I reach the door I see the boys all looking around and making a total mess.

"Hey! The kid just moved in and you're already making a mess! Knock it off!"

The boys stop their moments and awkwardly walk over to where I and Benny am.

I look at Benny, "Are there any rules we should know?"

He looks around, "I don't think so..." Benny stops for a second and just looks around the house. "Just don't go upstairs."

The boys look at each other and wander off. I go to reach for my pockets to grab my phone. I don't feel it and frantically move my hands around.

"Shit," I whisper under my breath to myself. Hoping nobody heard

Yet Benny heard. He turns his head and I feel his eyes on me.

"Is everything ok?"

I resist the urge to roll my eyes, "Yeah I just forgot my phone."

"Oh," he scrunched up his eyebrows. "Do you want to use mine?"

I think about it and conclude that I'll just go to my house and get my phone. It's just a quick walk anyways.

"I'll just go get. Tell the boys I'll be back." I walk to the door and give a glance at Benny. Out of manners, I give him a small smile and go through the door.