Chapter Twenty Nine

I looked out of the window for the entire ride home with Faith. "So I had a hot and steamy, depraved threesome on the fifth floor with two gorgeous college guys," was what I'd never say to her. I'd learned by then, she'd grill me on details until she stripped away all the bragging rights, leaving only guilt, pity and shame.

Regal Evans, forever single, seventeen and nine months, kissed two hot nineteen year old students who happened to be lacking in clothes. That was it. The shame I carried was from voyeurism, which I'd done to protect them. Should've I felt guilty for kissing them while I was interested in the boy who claimed we were a one-time thing? I did. I still did.

The chrome Audi rolled to a stop in front of my driveway. "Good luck in there, chico," Faith said. I hugged her and didn't want to let go. She noticed my apprehension. "Whatever happens, you'll always have a place with me. And we will find out the truth about your father, yo prometo."

I nodded slowly. I had no idea how she could be so confident about my father, but he wasn't my top concern, Mom was. I wasn't sure how to begin with her or if I should begin. I wondered if walking in like nothing happened was a realistic option. I'd say, "Came out? Mom, stay away from those ghost pepper tamales. They mess with your stomach and give you fever dreams. That's funny though. Mom, you are something else."

The garage door was rolled up, which made home seem inviting, but it was either false hope or a trap. Even if Mom didn't hear me come in, there was no way upstairs without going through the living room: the place she'd most definitely be. I could 'case the joint' and watch her through the window until she got up for a bathroom break.

No, I had to get this over with. More than that, I wanted to do this my way. I wanted to run up on Mom, real gangsta like. I'd say, "Yo moms, I'm gay and if you gotta problem, I'll find a place to stay." Mic drop.

Alright, two introspective scenarios—no matter how terrible—should be enough to convince anyone I'd given this adequate thought.

I walked in through the garage door entrance to the kitchen. Mom was in her usual spot on the couch. She waved me over, but didn't get up. I wasn't expecting anything more than that. Mom never thought I was missing.

Saylor and Faith didn't come over until she'd already left for work, so this was the time she was expecting me. Cynthia had told Saylor about my situation when she got home in the morning. He and Faith skipped school to drive around looking for me. School was the last place they had expected me to be.

I sat down on the sofa next to Mom, she hugged me and we were off to as good of a start as I could hope for. "Mom, so are you fine with everything?" I asked, bracing for the worst.

She forced a smile. "Why wouldn't I be?" I gave her a sidelong glance and she cleared her throat. "Okay, I won't pretend my heart wasn't set on more nietos, but your love life is yours. Mia es mia. We don't need to talk about it." She turned her attention toward the screen.

"I could adopt or be a donor still, who knows?"

Mom raised her eyebrows and shrugged back. No words were exchanged. I wasn't sure what I was expecting from her, but this seemed a bit disappointing.

I needed more clarity, so I went for it. "So, if I bring a guy home you're just going to act like he doesn't exist?"

Mom kissed her teeth. "I didn't say that. It'd be the same if I brought a man home."

What would that even look like. I knew better than to say that aloud. "So, you want my boyfriend to bond with you, just so he can get in my pants?"

We both laughed.

#####

Mom returned my car keys to me. Her reasoning for taking them in the first place was kind of a mix between her need for the last word and preventing me from doing something reckless. She claimed it was for leaving them in the ignition, which was something I did, clearly, but no one was after my bumper-less Honda Civic. If they were, good riddance. Miley had problems and Miley was needy. I wouldn't have been surprised if whoever stole her brought her back the next day.

I changed out of my work clothes and headed over to Saylor's to spend the night. Things were cool with Mom, but I had told him I'd help clean up and I meant it. Also, it was convenient. I didn't have to bring anything since I'd left my go-bag over there, which happened to hold a few items inside that I would've been fine without, if it weren't for today. Today was unreal.

I had one of my best days after having the absolute worst, the day before. Before this past Friday, I only had a familial-like funeral kiss to my name, look at me now. Mad-Eye Rudy wouldn't be ashamed for living his best life or should've I said, Cute Ghost Boy. That reminded me, Jin added me to Snapchat and sent me four snaps. One was a video, but I wouldn't be opening anything without Faith.

I came into Saylor's house through the front door, staircase to staircase, it was the shortest distance. I saw a head of long black hair leaned away from me in the kitchen when I came in, so I yelled, "Goodnight, Waldo!" to be polite.

He didn't say anything back, but he might've been on the phone. He was probably heading out soon. Cynthia was long gone off to work. I hopped up the steps and took the first left into Saylor's room. It was where Mom's would've been in our house. 

I should've knocked.