chapter 4

Lennox Monroe

New York City

After a beautiful trip to Paris for the wedding, it was time for all of us to head home. I hopped on a flight back home to New York while Evie and Nate went to Santorini, Greece for the start of their honeymoon.

I would have loved to stay in Paris for a longer trip and take the time to go back to some of my favorite spots, but I was already taking off too many days for the wedding. I'm barely a month into the school year and I've used almost all of my personal days for Nate and Evie's wedding trip.

I woke up, not wanting to crawl out of bed but I knew I needed to get up so I could get to my classroom on time.

I made myself a cup of tea to sip on as I got ready for the day. With my mug in my hand, I made my way to my closet to pick out my outfit.

I settled on a burnt orange jumpsuit and a pair of blue and tan wedges. I added some loose waves into my hair and a subtle touch of makeup to make me look more awake than I actually am.

 I added some loose waves into my hair and a subtle touch of makeup to make me look more awake than I actually am

Last month I started my fourth year as a high school art teacher, and I couldn't love my job more. I work for an amazing district right outside of the city and I get to see Evie and Nate all the time.

I've always loved New York, and when Nate's father's company had a branch opening in the city he and Evie packed up to move into a high-rise building downtown and I found a studio not too far from them.

Even though I'm outside the city and in a studio, the place still takes almost my entire paycheck to pay my rent. Even though it's small I've made the space my own and decorated every square inch that I could.

I hate blank walls or plain decor so I've filled my apartment with as much color as I could. I've made art for my walls, some pottery for my end tables, and hung up some shelves that feature some of my favorite pictures.

Once I accepted my teaching position, I was so excited to be able to decorate my classroom and showcase my students' art as well. At the end of each school year, I have my senior students paint a cabinet door and showcase their artwork in the room for their final projects.

Since I had a substitute covering my classroom for the last week, I went in a little early this morning to get things back to normal.

I unlocked my classroom door, walking right past the light switch and instead going over to open the blinds and turn on all of the lamps at each table group. I plug in the string lights and pull up my 'welcome to class' slideshow on the classroom projector.

The room was all sorts of mixed up with tables moved around and art supplies scattered around the entire room.

Once I was able to organize the chaos, I sat down at my desk with just a few minutes to spare before the bell rings and my first-period students come in the door.