Mouse In The Night

Trigger Warning(s): Fire, Burning Building

The bushes rustled under the dark, ominous night sky. It was extremely cloudy, so the grey sky was bereft of stars. An obscure pool of water, barely visible through the underbrush of the forest, reflected the occasional moonlight that peaked through the overcast. A small, tentative mouse ran from the brush to the small pool, lapping up small amounts of water to drink. The usual bucolic landscape was anything but daunting to the little mouse. But suddenly, a strident shriek sounded from the distance, alongside a bright light. The mouse ran toward the sound, running and running until it came to the edge of the nearby village. There it found many humans, most of them gaping in fear. They surrounded a house, engulfed in a conflagration. Unfortunately, the wooden walls of the house kindled the flames, causing them to grow even worse. Slowly, the fire died down, but at the expense of the house. One man sat on the ground, still trying to understand the holocaust that had just occured. Several people tried to comfort the man. The mouse ran over and placed its small paw on the man's foot, trying to expedite the man's grief as well. The man looked down at the mouse, and although confused at the small rodent's actions, eventually smiled back at it.