(6)

May 22nd, Monday, 2023, 11.AM

     There was a big desert hill, and downhill was one large stage. Everyone who remained for the final hours of the festival were sat on this very hill, all watching the various performers that came to sing their goodbyes. Upon that hill was the group: Janna, Oak, Terry, Spencer and Dante, all sat on a few blankets that covered dull 'grass' but mostly sand, brush and rocks. It was time to say their goodbyes too.

"I really wish it wasn't over already." Janna exclaimed.
"Well I'm glad it is. It's so hot." Oak complained.
"Oh hush. You don't even know hot till the bigger festival in June." Says Terry.
"Let's all just admit that we'll miss each other. Even if we've overspent some time together.. Clearly." Dante replies to all their comments.
"What do you mean? We still have half a day's worth of RV driving to do together. It's not nearly over yet~" Janna teased, to which they all groaned. Nothing like hours overspent in a boiling RV with nothing to see but dunes.
 Obviously this conversation didn't contribute much to Spencer. Who had his own car with plenty of good AC and acceleration for his trip. However, while on the topic of leaving, Dante spoke up, "Actually, I think I plan on going with Spencer instead."
 Well, that was a surprise, even to Spencer.
"Wait, what?" Seemed to be the response from both Terry and Spencer.
"Yeah. I mean, I did promise that I'd help him do some chores. Clean the car, some clothes. No point in having you haul me around some more in your RV, Janna, if he'd end up at my place eventually anyway." It was a change of plans but nothing serious I suppose. So it was just a shrug in response from Janna and Oak. "So why exactly are you inviting him to a sleepover?" Terry asks in an irritated tone.
"Why, are you jealous of our sleepover?" Dante replies in a slightly snarkier tone. Which gets merely a 'hmph' and a cold shoulder from Terry. He couldn't help but think about just how bratty she was- but he loved her nonetheless. Janna and Oak talked to each other. So that left Spencer with plenty of time to question Dante. "When exactly did we decide on you coming with me instead?" Spencer asks. "Right now actually. It's a good idea, don't you think?" Dante replies hopefully and sweetly. "It's an alright idea. You really want to be in a car with me for that long?"
"After sleeping in a tent with you, in a desert.. I think I can handle a relaxing, air-conditioned car trip for a handful of hours."
"Alright, you've convinced me."

     As entertaining as hearing about everyone's plans to go home would be; it'd be better to move along. Dante got his things packed and ready. Spencer helped to load it all into his trunk. Now for the actual, final goodbyes. Not much else to do but hugs and waves. Dante promised to stay in touch with everyone. They'd all see each other again one day. Soon Dante and Spencer were buckled in and on the road.
"Anything you want to listen to?" Spencer offered his phone as the catalogue. Dante was sure he wasn't interested in Spencer's music, and would've preferred his own. So he declined. "No, actually, I figured we could talk a little."
"Uh-oh." Said Spencer jokingly, maybe. "Nothing serious, obviously. Just to make the time go by?" Dante suggested to avoid getting too tired during the long car ride. Otherwise, he was certain he would fall asleep. "More scary questions?" Spencer asked hesitantly. "They don't need to be scary, or even questions."
"Mm.. Fine." Spencer was willing to wait on music just to hear Dante for a little longer.

"So, what's your favorite color?" Dante teased. "I thought I already told you?" Spencer replied, glancing to Dante in confusion. Though he had to focus on driving down these dusty, narrow roads with appallingly high speed limits. "You did. Red's your favorite color. I'm joking with you."
"How about.. Why did you, y'know, just now decide that you wanted me to come to your house today?" Spencer asked and reasonably so. Dante mentioned the favor and perhaps teased a 'favor' in the form of a sleepover-ish, but Spencer didn't expect to be welcomed to stay today. "It's not a house, it's an apartment." Dante replied, but suddenly reminded himself that he was inviting practically stranger- one he liked and kissed, sure - to stay in his home. In those few seconds of thought he looked over Spencer's side profile. Spencer genuinely made his stomach swirl and heart thump. Maybe this was irrational and stupid, but, "I guess it felt right. I.. Feel like I don't want to go home alone. But I also feel like you deserve to establish some kind of normal before hitting the road again. Plus we're going the same way, to LA."
"That's sweet and all but.. You really, really didn't have to."
"I know. That's why I told you all the reasons why." Dante says playfully before a big stretch and yawn, and adding, "Plus you said you'd pay me back."
"Pay you back? For what?" Spencer asked in some short lived fear as he had next to no money. "For being mean and lying to me. And you should pay me back for kissing me without even asking me out on a date first."
"Oh.. I can pay you back however you'd like then." Spencer said with a hint of sarcasm and relief, "So, are you tired?" Spencer adds seeing Dante yawn and lean back. "Yeah, a little. You were really tossing and turning last night."
"Probably because it was hot. You produce more heat than the sun."
"It's not my fault you're as cold as a rock-" Dante scoffs, "Okay, okay, let's not bicker on our multiple hour, confined car trip, please."
"That'd be for the best.. But Dante. Uhm. Thanks for helping me out. I'll try to be better and not disturb the peace or whatever, and also not hurt your feelings."
"You're welcome, but I'm not a charity. I think you deserve help from your friends. And I'd happily help, since you're helping me with this ride home." Dante and Spencer agreed on these mutual thoughts and feelings. Afterwards Dante looks at his window. Although it only made him sleepier and Spencer noticed the bobbling head and heavy eyes. "Dante. You know that you can sleep."
"Mhm. Wake me up if you see a Waffle House or gas station."
 Wasn't much longer after that Dante did in fact fall asleep. Spencer felt his heart ached to that request. Or maybe it was his stomach. Regardless, Waffle House was his favorite. He played some music quietly to keep himself awake. Something about that early afternoon sun, the AC with his window peaked, the smell of nature, this song and his passenger seat with an actual passenger in it- literally brought a tear to his eye. He ultimately focused on driving. This hurt was so familiar and bittersweet. To have one more car ride, one more trip, one day..